Wednesday, July 22, 2020

Opportunity Lost

Puss woke me up at 4:30. I could have fought her off as I did earlier at 2:30, but I figured at close to 6 hours of repose, I wasn't likely to get much more sleep in any case.

She will find any patch of skin and begin to lick. The bigger problem then is that she may resort to love biting which don't necessarily feel too loving to a human. Getting on my stomach and kneading furiously is another ploy. I know that she is also purring loudly. I can't hear it, but I know from Sue's reports that is the case. At a time like this, I am not sure that hearing loss is all bad.

The sun will rise in a half hour, but I am resisting going out. The sky doesn't look very dramatic, and I am lazy.

Sue and I did go out last night.

I had picked a spot where I might see Neowise. However, just opening the car door momentarily to get my equipment set up let in hordes of mosquitoes and Sue was under severe attack. And when I donned my headlamp outside, all I could see were clouds of the miserable biters. It felt like mosquito apocalypse.  I swear that I am not exaggerating.

There were clouds obscuring the horizon anyway. I had been willing to sit and hope for a break, but the skeeters caused me to pack it in in short order and head for home. I was already tired, and this outcome dispirited me, but there wasn't likely to have been much of a real photo opportunity anyway.

I think there's perhaps one more night for a decent opportunity to photograph the comet. If I were to return, I would do my best to set up the camera and tripod in the back seat before I ventured out and have it ready to set up quickly. Then I would sit in the car and wait for the big reveal.

But then, I would have to exit to take the photos. Perhaps, I could use the wireless trigger from my phone?

Ah well, it doesn't really matter. My location wouldn't yield a top shot anyway.

Meanwhile . . .

The town built a little model depot and water tower to commemorate early days of the town. They call it The Junction, which will also serve as a junction in modern days for people to meet. Accordingly, the Pride event was held in the adjacent space last year.

My friend has taken some nice photos under dramatic skies. But he found it difficult not to get background distractions. I went the other day in broad daylight to reconnoiter with my little camera, and I can see the problem. I took some test shots to give me some ideas for future reference, but finding a good angle without too much background distraction will be problematic.

This ↓↓ has some promise as long as I don't cut off that arm thingie to the right.


There is a photogenic cart just off the left of that photo ↑↑, but I don't see how I can separate it from the background depot, at least without including too much distracting background ↓↓.


You see how it gets lost with the shed behind it, and there is sill all of the other background clutter from this vantage. I am not entirely sure what I could do differently if I were to return.

I know that I get to fussy, but I did, perhaps, made the right decision to not go out this morning. We are just about at sunrise, but the cloud cover is such that I still see no colour from the den window, and my outlook is eastish.

. . . 

Yes, after proofreading and editing the above, the sun is now up, except that it isn't up if you know what I mean.

Now, what shall I do with my tired self for the next 16 hours?



11 comments:

Mara said...

I hear you about puss waking you. Or at least, noticing you're not asleep anymore and making very sure you will not go back to sleep because puss needs to be fed.

It's such a shame at times to see something so beautiful and it is surrounded by all those things that ruin a photo. The colours however do pop out in every direction. Apart maybe from the green of the grass. But that blue is so blue.

Margaret said...

My cat has to stay in her own room at night, and isn't allowed in my bedroom for that very reason. She is nocturnal and loves to play and interact during the night which I'm not too fond of. I see what you mean about the depot. Such a scenic place but there is background "noise" that would be tricky (impossible?) to eliminate.

Barbara Rogers said...

So sorry you have puss problems in the morning. Every time she falls asleep napping today, you could rouse her with petting...just to give her a taste of her own medicine. Oh, I'm bad! The pictures are very interesting, and I love the bright colors from a blue sky. I dare say they are a bit more muted today with cloudy skies. Perhaps it's time to spray yourself quickly with some repellant so you can capture the comet. There seem to be a lot of photos of it out there (on FB). Have a great day!

Tabor said...

Great photos and perfect sky tones. You are one determined soul to fight those mosquitoes. I would no-way and no=how approach that!

Marie Smith said...

You get the best skies in your photos!

I’d like to see the comet. No luck here either.

DJan said...

I love the bright blue, white clouds, and red accents in your pictures. And I would NOT try to get comet shots if I had to deal with skeeters like that. Brave! :-)

Thickethouse.wordpress said...

Mosquitoes don't really like me, but I would not want to be anyplace with so many! Poor Sue! Poor you! That depot is charming. I hope you find a way to photograph it which pleases you.

gigi-hawaii said...

Thank goodness I don't have a cat. I need my sleep.

Jenn Jilks said...

Thoughtful post. SOmetimes it just doesn't work out. You have so many excellent photos.

I want to read, but keep getting irritation. I hear you about the hours. JB was up at 6. Surgery Friday, though. I hope.

Joanne Noragon said...

You could write your town a letter, explaining it's photographic shortcomings at the new structure. See how excited they become.

William Kendall said...

I have yet to see Neowise.