Thursday, July 30, 2020

Selfie and Marple

I wasn't going to be bothered to post again today, but Sue sent me a new selfie, so . . .

First, she mistakenly sent one of just her: not that it was a terrible mistake, but she had meant to send the duo selfie.


Here's the together one.



After more or less neglecting reading for some time, I have been on a bit of a tear. I have read 6 novels lately and have begun my 7th.

Two have been inexpensive or even free, self-published, offerings from Kindle. You take you chance, but it's an inexpensive chance, and I liked both well enough. One was a modern mystery set in Scotland and the other an historical fiction set in about 12th century Wales. The Scotland one could have done with tighter editing or proofreading in a few spots, but it was fine overall, and I would read more of the series. The Wales one was a little more polished, and I would read more of that series too.

However, as reported earlier, I have read more of Agatha Christie, particularly looking for Miss Marple, whom I don't always find. This is just a little report — not book reports as such but just how much Marple was included.

In fact, I would have trouble doing an actual book report even if I so wanted, not only because I don't want to, but because I am incapable. After watching two tv series and now reading 4 of the same plots in novel form, I must tell you that they all run together.

I am sure it is partly a short-term memory issue. I would probably have trouble remembering five consecutive words. But then I am not presidential material.

I already reported on The Secret of Chimneys and how, despite it being an episode in both tv series, Marple wasn't in the book. At all. Not even a little bit. Television simply inserted Miss Marple into another Agatha Christie whodunit. Aside from that, though, the basic plot was similar.

I thought the same lack was unfolding in The Moving Finger, which is really a novella. I read on and on, as much as I can claim that in a shorter work, without any appearance of Marple. She didn't appear until near the end and then really in only a few brief almost cameo appearances. She was there to unravel the whys and whatnots in the denouement, however.

Nemesis, however, was fully Marple and she was also quite important in The Mirror Crack'd from Side to Side although she wasn't quite as dominant as in Nemesis. She still, however, had an important place in the plot. On the other hand, much of Crack'd would switch between Maple and the sleuthing of the detective. By this time in her life, Marple was older and getting a little more housebound, so it made sense to have someone other than Jane to do the wandering and questioning.

In both Nemesis and Mirror Crack'd, the novels had a few more details or connections than did the television versions. In Nemesis, the dying man, actually the dead man [sic], who sent her on the errand was the same rich man who helped her back in the Caribbean case.

Then, Mirror Crack'd used the same house as in the earlier Body in the Library, but just a decade or so later. And the lady of the house in the Body in the Library was still living adjacent to her former mansion having had to sell it to make ends meet.

Both of these connections, as insignificant as they might be, were satisfying touches.

There is no question that in my reading I pictured the original Miss Marple, Joan Hickson, or at least close to her and not the other Marples of the newer series. She was made to be Marple and suited the role to the proverbial T.

I plan to read more of Agatha and have just borrowed 4 more tomes from the library. I have just begun the first, and I am pretty sure that it won't be a Marple story. I don't think it was picked up and Marple-ized in the tv series either. I don't mind, however.

I must run. It is 7:15, and the cat is most grieved with me for not feeding her yet, so I must hie downstairs and do my duty.

12 comments:

Barbara Rogers said...

Ah, great summaries of Marple stories. I just finished an Ian Rankin and am starting an audio of Michael Creighton. I will enjoy listening to it when I do the laundry. Having postponed laundry to the nth degree, I'm glad I've got a mystery (though one I've probably read already) to listed to on ear buds.

Marie Smith said...

I’ve never been a huge fan of Agatha so I wouldn’t read the mysteries. Her own life mystery was an interesting one though.

DJan said...

I'm not much of a mystery reader. You do make Miss Marple sound interesting and maybe I'll pick one up just for a change of pace. :-)

PipeTobacco said...

So interesting! Is there a particular place at Amazon where you can find self-published novels? I have stumbled across perhaps two over the years, but it might be fun to see the range of offerings if they are organized in that fashion.... just to give them a try once in a while

I am reading “The End of the World Running Club” at the moment and in some odd fashion it if feeling almost autobiographical.

PipeTobacco

Mara said...

I love getting those cheap books from Kindle. I have found some real treasures that I will then buy in the paper version. And some are just a waste of money all round.

Margaret said...

I love mysteries and have read all of Dame Christie's works. Could I get the Scottish and Welsh mysteries' names? I didn't read as much as I thought I would while I was in New York, even when I was in quarantine. The hairdo is quite something--very 60s! :)

Marcia said...

Do you have a list of Agatha's books so you can check them off as you read them?

Tabor said...

I read the story about the disappearance of Agatha Christie last year. I like British mysteries. I also am reading The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night where he writes about the Hounds of the Baskervilles and makes me wonder how I missed so many details of that story!

Vicki Lane said...

I think NEMESIS is the best Miss Marple--they're all good though. And Joan Hickson is the ONLY Miss Marple for me. I never much cared for Poirot.

Joanne Noragon said...

The selfie is too cute, and the cat possible pernicious. Just kidding, unless it is a klew for Miss Marple.

Jenn Jilks said...

I'm sent a lot of books for review. Some are awful!

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

As much as I have also enjoyed watching some of the Miss Marple and Poiret mysteries, I have never read one of Agatha Christie’s books. But, then I have also enjoyed Murdoch Mysteries and Granchester and never read the novels they are based on, which I suspect would vastly differ from the shows. Like yourself, John, I am also reading more on my Kindle, currently Elly Griffiths and the Ruth Galloway series.