Wednesday, July 08, 2020

A Very Brief Evening Excursion

It was 9 o'clock Monday evening. The kids had long gone home after family dinner, and we had finished watching a Marple episode that we had begun earlier in the day. Sue was ready for bed, but I got the urge to go out.

My destination was the trail bridge. The OVRT (Ottawa Valley Recreational Trail) is a former railway line that was still active when we arrived in town 15 years ago. The trains stopped running after the 2008 recession. Years later, it was converted into a multi use trail.

I have visited it by times to take photos, but this was just to be a very short walk in the cool of the evening, so I didn't even take my camera. I did have my phone, however, and it wasn't too long before I used it.

The trail bridge looks upriver to townhall, and who can resist a photo?


A little past the river, looking the other way toward the former mill.


What really drew my attention was the roar of the water, especially since the river is running very low in this very dry weather. I decided to take a video, first upriver and then downriver. If you can tell in the dark, much of the water is so shallow that you can see the rocks, but the noise of the rapids part is still impressive.



It was a very brief walkabout, but it was satisfying. Next time I may take my compact camera although the iPhone does do the job.




11 comments:

Barbara Rogers said...

Oh I'm glad to hear you're planning next time. For my curiosity, I'd love to see a daytime, or perhaps a bit lighter view, of the cascades you had in the video. The bridge does seem like a spot that might have some interesting views. Of course you don't want to walk in the heat, so I can wait till it's cooler!

Margaret said...

Iphones do have good cameras in them, but not the level that you normally deal with. I rarely have mine ready to go, so I usually miss the best shots. :)

gigi-hawaii said...

beautiful

Thickethouse.wordpress said...

Very nice atmospheric pictures. We have a trail like that in the national park near me. Such a gift to people. But the Cuyahoga River never has that sort of sound, at least not near us.

MARY G said...

It surprised me that the water is that loud. The first upstream shot is really classy.

DJan said...

I think it's so nice to have a camera and video camera with me all the time! You just never know when you'll need it. Brilliant! :-)

Marie Smith said...

The two photos are beautiful. The sound of running water is liberating.

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Lately, I am trying to get into the habit of bringing along a small camera on walk-arounds. I do have the cell phone handy for any emergency, but am trying not to use it for photos as often as in the recent past.

Joanne Noragon said...

The rapids indeed are noisy.

Rita said...

Yes, that's some expressive, busy water!
Looks like a lovely walk. I do love a meander in the late night hours.
So peaceful. :)

Jenn Jilks said...

I'd love an iPhone. We're having trouble with our new smartphone. Both of us keeping turning MUTE on during a conversation. sigh. Old farts, we be.