Sunday, September 01, 2019

Monarch Release 3

The couple, Erin and Curtis, schedule one more butterfly event with more than 40 Monarchs to be released and, hopefully, begin their migration to Mexico.

The kids were back from their holiday week down east, so we volunteered to take take them to see the butterflies.

Fortunately, we got there early enough to get close to the box because it got very crowded shortly thereafter.

Unfortunately, once again, I didn't think to bring my polarizing filter, and so the shots through the glass were very so-so.




Also once again, Councilor Linda showed up in a new and special outfit to mark the occasion.



I pretty well knew that photography would be difficult because of crowding and how quickly the monarchs fly off, but I thought that I perhaps could catch something on a video where I didn't have to time shots.. I don't shoot videos often and am not very adept it doing it, but I decided that it was worth a try.

You will see below, especially at the beginning of the clip, how much of a crowd had gathered by release time. It was quite stunning, really.

Then the kids congregated around in front of the box, which was both good and not so good.

It was good in the sense that, first and foremost, you want the kids, especially, to experience the occasion. But there was a problem. Unless a child got to the front, he or she probably wasn't able to see much, particularly if they were shorter than the others. For that matter, the adults couldn't see much either. Our kids didn't get to the front, so I don't think they were able to appreciate the awesomeness of experience to the fullest.

Erin and Curtis, are doing a marvellous thing, but I think they were overwhelmed bu the huge turnout and didn't quite know how to handle the situation. If they do this again next year, and I really hope that they do, I think a solution would be to have the children sit on the grass just a little way back so that all of the children, and even also the adults, would have a fair chance at seeing the butterflies fly off.

Nevertheless, I held the camera high and managed to capture a few Monarchs making their departure.



It has been quite a wonderful series of events, and I am thankful for having been able to witness them, especially the emerging of the butterfly from chrysalis in the first release. That was extra special.

The release was covered by the community paper; you can read about it here.

One final thing: I decided to composite my various photos of the Emergence of a Monarch from Chrysalis into one image. The various stages are chronological but not to scale as I shot from somewhat different angles and zooms and didn't know that I was going to attempt to do this.



11 comments:

Jenn Jilks said...

It is wonderful to see!
I've tagged 7 now. Just the one isn't viable - of ours that have hatched.
We run out every morning to see which have changed colour and will hatch!

Marie Smith said...

What a great turnout!

Love the composite. Great job!

Barbara Rogers said...

So glad you are a photographer! These were great!

Thickethouse.wordpress said...

This was certainly a special event! Love your photos. I think your idea for seating if it happens next year is a good one and I hope you mention it to the organizers.

Shammickite said...

Linda is quite the glamorous butterfly herself isn't she? I wish I had the courage to dress up like that!

Kay said...

Oh wow! Your composite is so cool. That's a lot of people who showed up for the release. The trip down to Mexico is so far; I hope they all survive.

Joanne Noragon said...

An awesome event. I am sure this years' experience will lead the young couple to a better set up next year.

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Great ending photo to an interesting event.

Country Gal said...

Wonderful post and photos . I am a member of a Facebook group Monarchs Migrating Through Ontario , most of these people raise and tag these Monarchs and release them and track them on their migration to Mexico , We here in the valley are on the migration path in southwestern Ontario and I do counts of each and every one that comes through and send in my numbers and let them know how many females and males . We have people of the group who have been doing this for many years and actually go to Mexico and check what ones are tagged and so on . There is a women who rides a bicycle along the migration path every year and travels thousands of miles , It is an amazing adventure to follow and a wonderful group to be a part of .

Jenn Jilks said...

I've been doing more reading, and MonarchWatch.org says that they don't count in raised monarchs, as they have a lower survival rate. They think it is something to do with not having sun and dark and moisture in proper balance. Interesting.

William Kendall said...

The composite is neat!