Thursday, September 26, 2019

Carleton Place Junction

When the railway stopped running, the town purchased the land, as did the other municipalities through which it passed.

There emerged a grand vision to create, not only a walking trail, but also a recreational area that honoured the past. So, in the vicinity of the actual historical junction a mock railway station and water tower were erected. You might recall that I blogged about it here when the water tower was raised into place.


Last Friday night saw the official and ceremonial opening of the junction.

It began with entertainment by two young ladies who fiddled, and banjoed, and step danced.



There were a few speeches that didn't go too long.

Mayor Black

The Committee that worked on the project.


Joanne, who worked extensively on the project, was presented with a photograph that my friend and photographer Bob McDonald took of  The Junction.


Bob took more photos.


The ceremonial ribbon cutting. I was at a bad angle, but the mayor sharing a light moment is kind of cool.


The historic Findlay whistle was resurrected and blown for the first time in years as part of the tribute to the past. The sounding of the factory whistle was heard throughout the town daily at 12 and 5 o'clock for many year. I managed to take a short video of the blowing. I wasn't exactly prepared, and it is jumpy, but it is only 10 seconds long.



A bit of Findlay history here.

The youth were not forgotten and performed on the new pump track.


There is also a skaters park inside the track, which I have shown previously.



1 comment:

Kay said...

That pump track would probably make my nephews happy. I makes me think of a sore bottom.