Saturday, September 14, 2019

Photo Editing

I come home from a photo shoot, get the pictures uploaded, and begin to adjust them.

And I get carried away with a notion in my head about how the photo should be processed. Most of the time, I push toward realism. Basic editing must be done because a photo is never totally accurate because eyes and cameras see the world differently. Perhaps the exposure is a little too dark. It probably does require sharpening and maybe a contrast boost. Well, you get the idea.

But there are times when I get carried away with a notion, spend time following my idea, only to reject the outcome later.

I did that it the following photo. I thought that it should be brightened somewhat but more importantly that the white water should be removed.

Here is the original after basic processing.


Then I decided that it was too dark and that the white part (on the river) should be removed. It was fairly time consuming to do the latter.

The result.


And I don't think I like it as much although I am still vacillating to some degree. Perhaps I like the slight lifting of the shadows around the building, but I think I actually miss that bit of whitewater.

Now I may be changing my mind again. As I began to write this, I thought that I was sure of my impressions (that I preferred the original), but now that I am looking at these smaller resolution versions I am not so sure. I think I'll keep them both on file for now and go look at them again later at a higher resolution to see what I think then.

They do say, to leave your edited image and come back later to see how it strikes you then. In my case, my preference seems to be a shifting thing.

14 comments:

Jenn Jilks said...

I like the brighter one. You are right, they never seem to turn out the way we thought when we took them.

Vicki Lane said...

I like it without the whitewater.

Barbara Rogers said...

I like the roof enhanced to give more information about the shadow...and I vote with Vicki about the whitewater too! You can edit as part of it being your art.

Marie Smith said...

I like the second one. Both are beautiful however!

Thickethouse.wordpress said...

This way lies madness!

Goldendaze-Ginnie said...

I think it needs the white contrast to "ground" the picture. The all dark one seems to make it look like it's falling off the paper. (to me, that is!)

William Kendall said...

Beautiful!

Joanne Noragon said...

How are we to know the water was moving?

Marcia said...

I really didn't see much difference at first then noticed the white on water removed. I do like second one.

Shammickite said...

Actually I like the white parts on the water.

Rashed Shaon said...

You can use Fotor for photo editing purpose. It has a wide range of collage templates, e.g., classic, magazine, etc. to make collages with an additional Photo Stitching option. It also allows you a wide range of stickers and clips arts to revolutionize your pictures and make them interesting.

Smith said...

Pixlr is one of the best photo editing apps you can use to edit your images. It's a well-rounded editing app, offering all the post-processing essentials plus tons of presets and features to unleash your creativity.

Ram Bhowmik said...

Photo editing takes practice...lots and lots! Results can vary depending on your monitor as well...what you see is not always what others see...but that gets into more professional areas. Personally, the "creamier" version is more pleasing to my eye...but that's just me! Bottom line...very nice post!!
photo clipping service

Unknown said...

Buy LED TV click here LED TV Price In Bangladesh