Monday, September 09, 2019

About an Outage

I am frequently up by 5 and when I am not, I am almost always up by 6 with 6:30 being about the absolute latest.

But not on Sunday morning after a somewhat rough night, bodily speaking.

I had slept past 7, which is when the power went out. This was a scheduled outage, but in the way our luck runs, we had not been forewarned. If we had been warned, I would most likely have made sure to arise before 7 to make the coffee.

Even without warning, on almost every morning of the year, I would have had the coffee on by 7 because that is what I do. But not on that freakin morning. No siree, Bob! (Or whomever you might be.)

And so, two sad-sack 72-year-olds found themselves driving to Tim’s for coffee. We then took our drinks to the park, and as the morning was a tad chilly, we sat sipping it in the car. (The ‘it’ being sipped in this case refers to the coffee and not the morning or its chilliness although in a poetical sense, I did somewhat drink-in the otherwise fine morning.)

It was delicious, the best cuppa in a long while. I don’t know how that happens, but happen it did.

Later, I went out for a second cup. Also Tims. and it was not very good. Go figure.

I mean the coffee packets are standard issue, day after day, year after year. So why should cups be so variable? I beggars the imagination, it does.

Back to the park after my slight digression: as I sat there drinking coffee as well as drinking-in the ambiance of the park, I found myself once again contemplating the spider web.

You see, a spider lives in the car mirror, the one on the driver’s side. Always the driver’s side: never the passenger side.

This has been going on for years now although I have to assume that it is not the same spider. In fact, one year, the spider of that particular season blew off on the highway. It was a sad parting, especially for the poor arachnid.

We have shot the hose in there and torn down the web — to no avail. The web is always always always rebuilt in lickety-split time.

And I don’t really like to tear down all of that work, so I leave it up for quite awhile in an effort to let nature take its course. I mean to say that I feel badly for she of many legs, especially since I never seem to see any provender enmeshed in the webby result of her dutiful travails. I don't know how she survives in there for month after month without any apparent food.

I tried to take a picture with my phone whilst there in the park. It didn’t turn out very well, but it does offer some proof that I am not making this up and that I have not completely lost my marbles. I mean to say, just because I am 72 . . .


. . . now what the heck was I saying? And where am I anyway?



8 comments:

Barbara Rogers said...

What a good vignette of life as lived. I've had spiders-in-the-mirror too. Yours seems pretty long lived...so maybe she catches things on the fly as you drive along. Yes, getting coffee early is a good thing, at any age!

Marcia said...

Why the planned electric turn off?
And how strange to always have a side web! In winter time to?
My husband loves Tim's but there are none here.

Marie Smith said...

Lol. The miracle spider!

A story on the news here was about a Tim’s in Halifax with a line-up of 300 cars waiting for service this past weekend post Dorian. It proved to be a problem for police!

Mage said...

Our old coffee maker has a timer on it. G sets it for 0430, and when he gets up fifteen minutes later, the coffee is done.

William Kendall said...

Weird that spiders would keep doing that.

Joanne Noragon said...

Do you not even lower your window, to protect the precious web?

Mara said...

On the very few occasions I do drink coffee, I enjoy it. I like the ones Starbucks serve (decaf), but that's also as there are no Tim's anywhere near here. I might get one again in Belfast when I go for Christmas...

If I ever have a spider, it's usually in the car. Perhaps European spiders are less hardy?

Jenn Jilks said...

I have found a lot of critters hang around in the same place. This is a fun post.
My hubby turns 70 this November. He is a coffee snob.