Friday, September 27, 2019

Doors Open Tea Plus

Doors Open is a province-wide event held each year. It is up to communities to participate, and ours has for the past few years. The idea is to be able to visit places that may not always be open to the public. While we had seen most places on the list, there was both a tea and quilt show at St James Church.

It was an old-fashioned tea with the servers playing their parts to perfection. These were the two ladies who served us, mostly the second lady, but the first did help us with refills.




We happened to have Danica with us for a while that day, so we got a few pics of her enjoying a scone with jam and cream.



The centerpiece was unique.


We wandered into the sanctuary where there were many many quilts, from both now and the past, but I didn't take a single photo, at least partly because I was having a difficult health day.

But then Danica asked about the organ. It's a big pipe organ, and she could't understand how it worked. So they got the organist in to play just a little bit, and I must say that the sound certainly filled the somewhat small church. At the last minute, I was able to snatch a brief video clip.



We made one more stop to the former Federal Building, which was the post office for many years. As we walked in the door, the owner began to address the small group assembled about how he has worked diligently to restore the place as authentically as possible. It was a great talk, but once again I didn't take any photos, this time largely because we were a group in a small area, and I didn't want to disrupt proceedings.

I did take one photo because it was such a delightful little touch. Every postmaster has signed his name to the inside of the vault. I wasn't able to get close, but you can see where we were looking in this photo.


I was done in by this point, so I went home to bed while Sue and Danica went shopping for a birthday present for one of Danica's friends.

7 comments:

Jenn Jilks said...

Doors Open is a wonderful opportunity to snoop around!
I hope you got your mojo back. This paparazzi stuff isn't easy!

Tabor said...

I love dress up and having just seen Downton Abby, this is perfect.

MARY G said...

Fun and fascinating. Hope you are now feeling better.

Marie Smith said...

What a lovely event. Love the costumes!

William Kendall said...

It sounds like you enjoyed it. That's another good thing about Doors Open- not just the big cities but the small towns take part in it as well.

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

While I haven't heard specifically of Doors Open, I have heard of similar venues in other places and it's a great experience. Hope that the rest helped you feel better. I felt miserable with a sinus headache last night after we returned from seeing Downton Abbey, but it wasn't due to the film which we both thoroughly enjoyed.

Kay said...

What fun to see all the period outfits! I just saw Downton Abbey too. Danica has such a lovely heart shaped face.