Sunday, September 29, 2019

A Tense View of Usage

The way we use language certainly changes, and, I think, more rapidly than ever. In sports, for example, a really good play will likely be described as "Sick." I believe that I have also heard it in SYTYCD although it has been awhile since we caught that show. I think it crops up every now and then in The Voice too although we get so inured to the newer usage that I am guessing that I don't always notice it.

Here's an example of another trend that I am noticing: "Does Cale Fleury start the season in Montreal?"

You don't have to know the context to see what is happening here; a present-case construction is being used for a future event. Up until recently, I don't think that there is much question that it would have been written with will and not does. Now, I see the present tense being used frequently for a future scenario.

I probably fall into the trap every now and then, or at least the present tense one because our ears get used to the language that is being used all around us. I don't like it, though. And if I ever catch myself using the word, sick, in that context, well, I just may throw up.



9 comments:

Vicki Lane said...

Oh, my! You sound like me. I get quite annoyed with some 'new' forms of usage and have to remind myself that the language is always changing and I myself still use 'cool' and 'neat' to signal approval. I cling to the proud fact that I never used the word 'groovy.'

Should Fish More said...

When I lived in Germany a few years ago, I worked with engineers, a formal lot. I started calling them 'dude', just to get their reactions.

Marie Smith said...

I am sick of that usage too, AC.

Mage said...

LOL You have company.

William Kendall said...

I do some of that.

Mara said...

Try moving to another country and not living through the living language of your native country. When you come back again, the words you use are very much not current anymore and you haven't got a clue what anybody is talking about.

Here in the Netherlands they will often say: 'fat' for something that would be 'sick' in your country! Strange that.

Joanne Noragon said...

I still cringe at the use of "me" for "I".
Me and John went to the show. Or, John and me....
Does me no good; I am overwhelmed by the kids.

Red said...

Grammar is not taught anymore. Enough said!

Jenn Jilks said...

You're so sick!
We like the VOice this season. Good humour not sick stuff or the bromance!