Thursday, September 05, 2019

First and Last

It was Danica's first day to her new school, and very likely the last in which we will be permitted to accompany her to the school bus, which we have been doing for nine years now.

So it was exciting for all and especially for her but also poignant for her grandfather and mother. It is a passage, and there are almost always a mixture of emotions accompanying such an event.

I suspect that this will be the final time that she will indulge us with this opportunity of seeing her off, and I am somewhat surprised that she was willing to allow it this time.

The bus stop is farther from her house, so I was expecting to see them drive up, but suddenly, they were upon me, and I had to ask them to pause for snap.


Danica took her place at the stop across the street and thereafter avoided further eye contact.


I moved to behind the line so that I might get some pictures of her getting on the bus but was able to take this shot of the whole situation first with Mom and JJ keeping their distance.


On she got and off she went.



Sniff.

She now has a phone and was able to text us at lunch hour that school was going well.

5 comments:

Marie Smith said...

You’ll always be in contact, just not the physical kind.

William Kendall said...

They grow so fast, don't they?

Joanne Noragon said...

A sweet send off.

Barbara Rogers said...

She must have been somewhat glad you had her back, as she went off into an unknown world. Glad she texted at lunch that all was ok. Yes, they do leave our nests, don't they? But rest assured, you've done a good job.

MARY G said...

My daughter got a snap of the Grade 11 on her loaded way out the door. Maybe the last.
If I had tried to get a shot of decanting my YD at her university residence, she would have broken my trigger finger at least.
Love them while you can.