Tuesday, August 13, 2019

Third Consecutive Early Rising

Yup! The alarm went at 4:15 once again, and although I didn't exactly jump out of bed, I did arise shortly thereafter.

I wasn't sure where I was going to head, but since I've had a bridges theme going, I thought I might as well head downtown to the Bridge Street bridge.

Although my plan was to shoot downriver toward the old railway (new trail) bridge, my first shot was of The Waterfront Gastropub with it's deck lights still on. I like how the water turned out in this 6 second exposure, which has to be one of the longest that I've ever taken. This was at 5:40am and is, I guess by far, my favourite photo of the morning.


I took several shots looking upriver, but the next one that I kept was 10 minutes later. I wanted the old mill (right) and the railway bridge in the same frame, but the lens that I was using made the shot too tight. I have a very nice wider angle photo from years ago that it better than this one. It is almost sunrise and you can see a decent glow on the horizon.


At almost 6 o'clock and the sun is just up although you can't see it from this vantage point. There are two fishers in the photo (lower right). They had probably been there all along as I shot various photos, but I didn't see them until I looked at this image on the computer. Actually, it was in a more exposed version than this in which I first noticed them.


I figured we were pretty well done with that sunrise view, so a few minutes later, I switched my attention to the other side of the bridge, looking upriver instead of down. With the day getting brighter already and not facing such a tonal range of light and shadow, these photos were relatively easy to get compared to the others. I do like them both but especially the first one, I think, with the river disappearing into the distance. However, the triangular shape of the trees and their reflection is fairly effective in the second image as well, and I think the two boathouses also balance the second photo nicely.



When I turned back around, the eastern sky was even a little better than before although I did decide to also add a warming filter in post because the colour still wasn't quite where I wanted it to be without a little bit of extra help. I do think it is much better than the earlier downriver photo posted three shots above, but as on the past two mornings, none of these sites are optimal for those quintessential sunrise shots that others have access to.


7 comments:

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

I am still sitting in bed reading this post, AC, and looking at the photos you captured hours ago. My votes today go to #3 and 6 in that order.

Shammickite said...

Getting up early paid off with some really nice images. You should get up early more often!!!!!

Barbara Rogers said...

Some day the drama of sunrise stays abed! I like the fishing shacks.

Vicki Lane said...

These are beautiful. I wonder what my local bridge/river looks like at sunrise. I really should pull myself out of bed early and go look. You are inspiring.

William Kendall said...

Beautiful shots!

We're heading towards that part of the year when I'm more likely to get dawn shots. I did take one in July.

Mage said...

The last two are winners. If you were processing these by hand, you would be attempting to lighten that bridge just a fraction.

Marie Smith said...

They are beautiful shots. My favourite is the fourth one.