Thursday, August 22, 2019

Geezer Brains

I have written once before of how, in an effort to keep my brain in working order, I try to play two ipad games each morning. One is Wordscapes, and the other is Sudoku. I always play Sudoku first because it suits my brain a little more than Wordscapes. (There are images and a greater description of the games on this previous post.)

Sometimes I miss a day or two of Sudoku, but I can make those missed games up later. As a result, I have played every Daily Sudoku from March 24th until now. Unfortunately, if I miss the daily Wordscape challenge, there is no option to go back.

There are four levels to this Sudoku app — Easy, Medium, Hard and Expert. I can do Easy without resorting to notations and sometimes Medium too, depending on my state of mind that day. The Hard level always requires me making notations, which are easy to do in this app, except I think that I once managed to complete a Hard game without notations. That means that it was probably only on the borderline between Medium and Hard.

The app only offers the Expert level rarely, which is a good thing since they are very difficult and time-consuming. Unfortunately, when it does go to this level, I always make a blunder at some point and/or have to resort to requesting a hint.

Until yesterday that is, when I completed an Expert game without hint or error. So, at almost my 72nd birthday, I am here to inform you that I haven't completely lost my cognitive functioning — despite fumbling around for elusive words all too frequently. Narcissist is one example of a word that I often find difficult to latch onto.

I have also resumed playing Question of the Day with Alexa, and I am up to 10 correct answers in a row.  Not too terrible for an old geezer, eh?

14 comments:

Marcia said...

My two daily iPad games are two different versions of solitaire. Wordscapes is often advertised before the daily solitaire appears but I haven't succumbed to add another game.

Tabor said...

I play a couple of word games and try to avoid using hints to complete them. I hate math and would not find Sodoku rewarding in any way. Question of the day...that is something I need to look into.

Barbara Rogers said...

Good for you...I remember before retiring that I'd play sudoku on breaks during the work day...sort of different than giving various activities to senior citizens. Now I'll have a good game or 2 of solitaire in the evening before going to sleep, after my nightly book is put aside.

Mage said...

Bravo. That's good stuff. I play solitaire. Sudoku is too far above me, but I can battle numbers with class winning most all the games now.

Red said...

I like doing Sudoku puzzles as well. I also do crosswords.

Shammickite said...

I prefer tackling Sudoku in a book with a pencil in my hand. Not on the screen.

Coloring Outside the Lines said...

My husband loves Sudoku, but I am not very good at it. I commend your brain power because I know that this game is hard. I do logic problems (in a book) and mahjong (on my ipad) which I really enjoy.

William Kendall said...

My aunt does Sudoku. I've always avoided it.

Marie Smith said...

I always loved Sudoku. Can’t seem to fit it in any more.

Thickethouse.wordpress said...

Good for you! I do wordscapes, but have forgotten about Sudoku...Should try it again.

Country Gal said...

Have to keep our bodies and minds busy as the saying goes , If you don't use it you loose it , I like to do word searches and crossword puzzles to keep my mind busy as well as playing board and card games every now and then with our kids when they come down to visit , I also do a lot of reading be it from a book or online , I also walk every day for an hour or so with my dog and have got back into my biking as I used to do long distance cycling years ago and I enjoy gardening , and hiking so I try to keep both body and mind active .

Vicki Lane said...

Wow! I'm impressed. I've never attempted Sudoku being somewhat number averse. I try to keep my brain limber with NYT crossword puzzles and figuring out what to fix for dinner.

MARY G said...

Impressive!

View from age 77. I have to do Sudoku with a pencil and paper, pencil must have an eraser, second cup of coffee often useful. We do the Globe and Mail one, which goes from a one star on Monday to five stars on the weekend. Sunday is frequently enlivened by gnashing of teeth.
And, yeah, words sometimes escape.

Jenn Jilks said...

Geezer, indeed! I've not done Wordscapes.