Sunday, August 11, 2019

Morning at the Bridge

Morning at the Bridge or I guess I should say Bridges.

Note: the water tower in the last post was decorative only. I do think they plan on putting time capsules in there to be opened at the 250th celebration.
Thinking that I might get an eastern glow shooting from the old rzilway bridge to the little bridge, I set me alarm bright and early — or dark an early as was the case. Yes, 4:15 is dark, but if I want to have a coffee and get to the site by 5:30 . . .

When the phone alarm rang at 4:15, I was undecided and lay back down for a few minutes, but I soon overcame my reluctance and arose. But I left my phone by the bed and, apparently, had only set it to snooze, so I managed to awaken Sue as well. Fortunately, she was able to get back to slumberland.

So, I headed to the trail bridge and set up shop as it were, and I was soon pressing the old shutter.

This was a 3 second exposure which did yield some softness in the water, which is what I was after. I am not to sure what I think about this. It might be better with less saturation and a different crop. I may have to have another go at this one.


And here's the second edit of the same photo. Different. Tighter crop and less vivid. The second version, below, is probably somewhat closer to what I saw, but, one again, nothing is exact in these kinds of photos.



Later, I took a vertical shot, but because it was lighter out, I couldn't do a long enough exposure to get the water the way that I wanted. So, I took 6 exposures and used a photoshop trick to smooth the water just a bit — a bit of a faux long exposure as it were. I think I like this one better overall with more sky and less saturation.


Finally, I took a shot looking the other way to the other bridge downtown by town hall with the dam on the right. I kind of like how it turned out.


9 comments:

Mara said...

That last shot looks like it is the middle of the day and it is full of people enjoying the water and the summer.

Barbara Rogers said...

Good for you for suffering for your art!

Marie Smith said...

An artist suffers for his art, like getting up before the dawn. Love the first and last photos best but all are beautiful.

Tabor said...

Getting up early. Need to do that!! I miss all the good light!! Great job.

Thickethouse.wordpress said...

I like the third photo best, too. You are tough getting up so early. I think I could do that for a life or death emergency, but not much else.

Joanne Noragon said...

You are one tough cookie, old friend. I like the town hall bridge shot the best.

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

I do admire your persistence and early rising to get out, even though I would have remained in slumberland, AC. The third shot in this series is my choice.

Jenn Jilks said...

Nicely done! Poor Sue.
Has Shauna begun work at the new place, yet? Oct. 1st approaches!!!
(ツ) from Cottage Country Ontario , ON, Canada!

William Kendall said...

These are beautiful shots!