Monday, September 26, 2022

The Disappearance Disappeared

We were watching the limited Norwegian series, The Lorenskog Disappearance, on Netflix. It was dubbed into English, and dubbed very well, I might add, with lips synching surprisingly well.

It was based on a true event in which a rich Norwegian woman, or rather a rich man's wife, was abducted and was never heard from again. For more than two years police and reporters endeavoured to solve the crime.

We were into the fifth episode and thought we might watch one more before retiring for the evening. The episode ended, and a new suggested series popped up.

That's right. The series just stopped without warning. Obviously, that means that the case was never solved, but it was very abrupt and unexpected. We could scarcely believe that it was just over without even a hint that it was going to end. There was certainly no denouement, let me tell you.

You can read about it here if you want to know more.

But I am just here to tell you that our jaws dropped and cries of dismay were heard when the series so abruptly. I don't think I've ever had a series end like that before. Mind you, it was pretty well done, and I am not sorry that I watched it.


14 comments:

Patio Postcards said...

When we invest our time into anything, but especially dramatic TV, we want a satisfying ending ... who knows they may yet solve this disappearance with help from the public who showed interest in the story.

Recently we had a local tragic hit & run case solved after 14 years. It doesn't bring back the young lad killed, but it helps that he & his family get some sort of justice.

So is the next series looking promising?

Marie Smith said...

Don’t know if I’d watch that one!

MARY G said...

That is weird. Maybe it was not popular enough and was, therefore, pulled. Have you tried to find it elsewhere? We watched the new 'Top Gun' last night. Willing suspension of disbelief required. But sort of fun.

Barbara Rogers said...

Oh that stinks a bit! Sorry to hear about it. I was surprised to find on my always confusing YouTube TV streaming slots one of my favorites was just followed by another (without me asking, I think). It's pretty much beyond me.

Ed said...

Another timely post. We just watched a news show program about a man accused of murdering his wife some 30+ years ago. For two hours, they laid out the case, why it had been horribly investigated and even got the actual murderer on tape admitting how and why he killed the imprisoned innocent man's wife. It ended with the judge ruling there was not enough "substantial new evidence" to grant an appeal so the innocent man will still spend the rest of his life in prison. It left us both sitting agog in our chairs and feeling cheated.

William Kendall said...

I can see that being frustrating.

gigi-hawaii said...

That must have been very unsettling. Too bad it ended so abruptly. BTW, I like how your family takes in rescue dogs. Awesome!

RedPat said...

I think I will skip that one.

Margaret said...

I would have been SO frustrated!!

PipeTobacco said...

Frustrating in a television program, for certain… but from the link you provided it seems very true in terms of the case being unsolved as well.

Perhaps (someday) there will be a Season 2.

Broader question…. do you enjoy having Netflix? We have considered it, but are not sure if we need (or want ENOUGH programming from it) to justify the monthly expense.

PipeTobacco

roentare said...

Some foreign films are well made that I do go back watching them again

Jenn Jilks said...

It seems as if some just run out of funding! What a pain!

Kay said...

OH no no no no! That's awful! Thank you for the warning.
I am not into Korean dramas but the review for The Extraordinary Attorney Woo were so good that we did. There were 16 episodes and a very satisfying ending. However, the subtitles go so fast I could hardly keep up. I wish it were dubbed, but it was still definitely worth watching.

Jeanie said...

I just hate it when that happens. Or there's a cliffhanger but no new batch of episodes on the horizon. The second season of Cobra ended that way and so did London Kills. I want more!