Thursday, September 29, 2022

I am but a Crooked Man

This is me, now.

from the Poetry Foundation


I had this poem in an illustrated story book when I was a child. While the poem is only 4 little lines long, they were able to divide it and illustrate it into a little book.

I am reminded of the book today, for I am that man, or at least a version of him.

Here's the account.

Earlier today, I posted of my disappointment with the weather yesterday. But this morning promised to be sunny (and it was), so I gathered my gear.

After popping open the car trunk, I swung my rather heavy and cumbersome camera bag into place. Unfortunately, the motion was accompanied by a rather nasty back spasm.

Now I am walking a little bit crooked. 

At least I am able to hobble around the house — once I am up, that is. It's the getting up and down that is fraught with difficulty. I am glad that I already had socks on because ho boy! they are a real problem when the back goes kerflooey. Now, just imagine what a sneeze might do to a guy already in a state of back stress!

I told Sue that I could get get downstairs, but that I didn't think I could get the cat food down to the floor.

This change in procedure perplexed poor puss. She got confused since she is disposed to follow my every move. So, I shuffled along with Sue as Sue put her food down. Lacey squawked with some concern and anxiety but eventually overcame this seismic shift in her life and went to her dish.

In the meantime, I will be the crooked man, for that's how it tends to go with my posture when I have a spasm. Thankfully, I haven't had one for quite a few years, but here we are reprising that old tune.

I will not be walking a mile, crooked or not, but at least Sue and Lacey are not crooked and  neither is this little house.

Now that the weather has perked up, here am I — quite unperked. Sadly.


13 comments:

Should Fish More said...

Now I'm hearing that folk song from the 60's in my head. Thanks, AC.

DrumMajor said...

Poor confused kitty! Ouch! Backs can be tricky. Heat, gentle stretches, muscle relaxer Flexeril is wonderful (doc Rx required.) Linda in Kansas

Kay said...

Oh ouch! I'm so sorry you're having to go through this. I hope your back heals quickly. I hate when that happens.

MARY G said...

Ouch! And I can sure relate as that is what my back does, day in and day out. I so hope that you unkink quickly and do not fool around with heavy bags in the future.
Yeah, heat, flex exercise and patience. We cannot get a muscle relaxant like that in Canada, annoyingly enough.

dellgirl said...

LAWDY, LAWDY, THAT hurts! I hope you get some relief from the pain soon. I'm sending prayers your way. Wishing you all the best, my friend.

roentare said...

You were so talented to write a poem! It reads fine too!

Jeanie said...

I am so sorry you are a crooked man. As one who has been a crooked woman, I've felt that pain and it's misery times ten. My sympathies to you, Sue and Lacey -- one bad back spasm throws a monkey wrench into everyone's lives. (Can you get muscle relaxers from the doc? I hope so.)

The Furry Gnome said...

Well, I already knew you were a crooked little man!

Red said...

Stretch, stretch, stretch. That keeps the spasms away from me. I don't want to see crooked man.

William Kendall said...

Ouch!

Margaret said...

Oh, no! You tweaked your back--ouch! I'm always afraid of doing that, especially now that my grandson wants me to cart him around sometimes. Hope it's better soon so that you can enjoy the weather!

Jenn Jilks said...

I hear you. JB cannot bend down, and has those handy little long picker uppers in all the rooms of the house. He cannot use his right arm to lift anything. I now do the garbage all the time.
It just takes a wrong move and backs go for days. I hear you!
It difficult, but adjustments must be made.

RedPat said...

It is a pain getting older. Hope it relaxes soon.