Wednesday, September 28, 2022

Another Memory and a Rather Odd One at That

I seem to unveiling a spate of memories, but I have one more before I go on to forget about this remembering thing. This isn't a brand new memory, for it has come back to be from time to time over the years.

The old songs that frequently pop into my brain are usually old hymns or gospel songs, but this one is by Shirley Temple Black and neither churchy nor popular.

Everyone knows the child actor, but I am not sure that I did for a long time. However, I have remembered that, as a woman, she had a tv program: a story time program for children. I don't remember the stories, but I do remember her closing song. While I may not have the lyrics 100%, I am pretty sure these ↓ are close and that I have the essential tune in my head.

Dream along little man
Dream as long as you can
Don't grow up I beg of you
For dreams were made for children
And we're children
As long as we dream

I can't find the song anywhere, but I think I have it pretty well as it was although I am not going to sing it for you. You're welcome. 

Wikipedia (see below) did tell me that the show ran, from '58 to '61 when I was ages 10 to 12. I think that I only saw the program a few times, but I must have liked the tune or the words or, perhaps, Mrs Black. I  really don't know how or why I recall this from just a few exposures more than 60 years ago. 

Do you have any quaint but puzzling memories such as this?

(Wikipeduia) Between January 1958 and September 1961, Temple hosted and narrated a successful NBC television anthology series of fairy-tale adaptations called Shirley Temple's Storybook. Episodes ran one hour each, and Temple acted in three of the sixteen episodes. Temple's son made his acting debut in the Christmas episode, "Mother Goose". The series was popular but faced issues. The show lacked the special effects necessary for fairy tale dramatizations, sets were amateurish, and episodes were not telecast in a regular time-slot. The show was reworked and released in color in September 1960 in a regular time-slot as The Shirley Temple Show. It faced stiff competition from Maverick, Lassie, Dennis the Menace, the 1960 telecast of The Wizard of Oz, and the Walt Disney anthology television series however, and was canceled at season's end in September 1961.


12 comments:

Marcia said...

Periodically old jingles from advertisements pop into my head but not the song you mentioned.

Barbara Rogers said...

Wow, that's amazing...song from a TV show you watched just a few times. I never remember watching that show at all, though I sure liked Shirley Temple in her children's roles in movies (reruns on TV).

Boud said...

Those old songs and, for me, carols, seem to form the background music to my life, too. I find myself bursting out singing them,even. Black became a US ambassador, a grown up one, later.

Jeanie said...

We're about the same age and I remember that show. Not the song, though. It's interesting, though, how I can remember lyrics to songs I heard when I was ten and not things I learned last week!

Vicki Lane said...

When I was about 6, Home on the Range was my favorite song. I was taken to Alabama to be a flower girl in a cousin's wedding and at the reception, I asked the pianist who was providing background music to play it. He did--somewhat to the surprise of the guests.

MARY G said...

oh yes. Ghost Riders in the Sky, for one. I have the kind of brain that remembers lyrics and poems and forgets where my phone is. So, like your other commenters, my head contains enough earworm material to last me through. And my family just moans when I start to recite something and go on. And on. And on.
Love your memory lane trip. I was not a Shirley Temple fan. Too cutsie. But the Muscateers now. "Mic, Key, ..."
Drat.

ziniania's corner said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Margaret said...

I don't remember that show but I probably never watched it. If it went up against Lassie, it would have lost in my household. :) There are old ad jingles that pop into my head all the time.

Kay said...

I just found the YouTube of that song:
https://youtu.be/-VWyP9jkjjE

I vaguely remember that show.

William Kendall said...

Never heard of it, but heard of her, of course.

Red said...

Yes. sometimes stuff pops into my head. It can be something that wasn't even important.

Marie Smith said...

My memory is less specific. My husband remembers details of things I have long forgotten.