Tuesday, September 13, 2022

Saturday Morning

Once again, went I out with the camera. I didn't mind being a bit later than I have often been recently because was hoping for sun, rather than blue hour, this time. I was also hoping for fog. Well yeah. I was hoping for both — sun and fog. I am speaking of layers of fog near ground level and not of a generally foggy day.

I went to the spot around the corner where we have been known to sit on a bench overlooking the river.

Sadly, I couldn't see the rising sun from that spot, and there was no doggone fog either. I tried some photos anyway, but they weren't worthy, and I have since deleted them.

Then I decided to explore another road very near our house. Lo and behold (and it is not even Christmas) I found sun and fog: no water but 2 out of 3 ain't so bad.

Keep in mind that if you try to photograph full sun it will be blown out, just as it is when you look at it. You can also get some effects around the sun, but I do like the photos. There were 3+ minutes between the 2 photos, and they were taken from different spots. The second was more of an afterthought sans tripod, but I think it developed well enough.



I almost forgot to relate a curious incident.

A lady came by in a car and stopped right by me. I wondered what she wanted. She explained that she sometimes hears guns being fired. When she saw me carrying my tripod, she thought it might be a rifle, and she wondered what I was up to, so she stopped to inquire. I am not sure of the wisdom of stopping to question a person whom they suspected was carrying a gun, but there you have it.

After a few words, she exclaimed that she liked photographers and drove away satisfied. I was left a little perplexed, however.

A little later we went on Ride #19.


Since it was Saturday, we diverted to the Farmers Market after the usual turn-around point,. It lies just off a different part of the trail. Sue is in the approximate middle (white top) buying a goodie.

The goodie turned out to be a badie. It was something scone-like with raspberry and lemon. It was doughy, and neither of us cared for it. Ah well. 



16 comments:

Boud said...

Those pictures are really lovely, very atmospheric.

Marie Smith said...

That woman wasn’t thinking straight.

William Kendall said...

I wonder if it's the same vendor I'm thinking of. At our market I'll pick up scones like that. The odd time it's a bit off.

MARY G said...

We live in a country where a singleton woman feels confident in asking someone who might be carrying a gun as to what he is hunting. Good, eh?

Barbara Rogers said...

Like these photos of sunrise. You said you can't take photos of the sun directly, then you did. How?

Anvilcloud said...

@Barbara. I think you misunderstood. I said the sun would be blown out, which means that it would be too bright to show any detail and would just a bright blank spot in the sky.

Tabor said...

I think it is hard to find good pastry where we live. At least in Canada you have some good places! I avoid sun photos because they are so blown out.

Vicki Lane said...

Lovely sun/fog photos!

Ed said...

You were shooting, just pictures instead of bullets.

Margaret said...

You got some great shots! I don't know what that woman was thinking either but then I can't figure out many people these days. The pastry looks good to me but doughy...hmmm.

DJan said...

I like that second shot the best. And thanks for letting me tag along on your ride. :-)

RedPat said...

I'm impressed with your early morning ventures. I think I like the 2nd one the best.
That goodie looks a bit underbaked.

roentare said...

Nice metering of the sunrise with that sheer sheet of fog in the foreground. Great shot!

Joanne Noragon said...

Lovely photos.

Jeanie said...

Nothing worse than a bad goodie. It sounded so promising!

I've been more or less offline for the past couple of weeks. I'll never catch up with you, but hopefully I can keep up!

Kay said...

Oh my! I really love that first fog photo. It's beautiful and ethereal.