Wednesday, September 14, 2022

Serendipitous Sunday Sunrise

It had been awhile since I had gone to the pond for a blue hour photoshoot — 2 months, I later discovered. I didn't go back for blue hour this time but returned with hopes of photographing fog over the water. As it eventuated, there wasn't any fog, but there were clouds, and there was a sunrise.

They had also trimmed the tall, noxious weeds near the water since the previous visits, so I was able to get to some slightly different spots. That was good because the sun has certainly changed position since July, and the better access really helped.

What a sunrise it was! I stood there for a half hour shooting photos and frequently saying Wow! to anyone who would listen —which was just myself at that hour. The photos may looked unreal or over-processed to an observer, but I do try to remain pretty doggone faithful in editing these sorts of photos. While I am more than willing to stylize some types of images, I refrain with this kind of photo.

Here are 2 early photos: 6:29 and 6:35. Look at the clouds and their reflections in the second photo! What a change in 6 minutes!



By 6:51 the sun was up over the horizon. I narrowed the aperture ↓ to get that sunburst effect. Except for that narrow strip by the horizon, the sunrise colours were all but gone. What a rapid change!


Almost done, I turned the camera to the vertical position and squeezed off just one more photo to capture more of that strip of light coming across the pond.


I generally appreciate being out for early morning photography, but I especially loved being out there on that morning.

19 comments:

Patio Postcards said...

All fantastic photo & will say I like the 2nd photo best.

DJan said...

I too like the second one the best, but they are all lovely. :-)

Barbara Rogers said...

Wow...you found an excellent sunrise that time! My fav is also number 2...though last one also is beautiful. Thanks for sharing!

NGS said...

I love these tutorials since they really show the difference a few minutes can make in the light. The second photo is absolutely beautiful.

Marcia said...

Ok, I'll admit I haven't been commenting on your other photos lately but these are super impressive. You captured the WOW factor! Well done.

Marie Smith said...

Spectacular! Love these!

William Kendall said...

These are beautifully taken.

Margaret said...

That second photo is an award winner! Love them all but especially that one. Wow indeed!!

gigi-hawaii said...

Beautiful! I go outside and sit in my carport around 6:30 AM but don't see a sunrise like this. I wonder why. In fact, I have never seen a colorful sunrise in my lifetime and I have lived everywhere in the world: California, NYC, Thailand, and Europe. LOL.

Boud said...

I so rarely see a sunrise that these are just wonderful to study. Thank you.

RedPat said...

Gorgeous. The 2nd one is spectacular.

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

These photos are great reasons for getting up so early. In this grouping, my favorite is the last one with the slip of light as you called it across the pond and #2 is my other backup choice.

PipeTobacco said...

I wish I had the ability you have to be able to so successfully frame an image in your camera. I try, but never quite get it aesthetically pleasing…. Like yours are.

PipeTobacco

roentare said...

Truly an excellent sky with that wonderful cloudscape. Nice reflection too

Jeanie said...

You catch the best reflections! Our lake has had so much wind there are few times to get a good complete reflection like that. Add the sunset and wow! (Or sunrise!)

Joanne Noragon said...

Well done! Where are you hanging them for sale these days?

Anvilcloud said...

@Joanne. Nowhere much. I have a few remnants in one place, but with a busted printer I haven't updated. The other place closed a few years ago now.

Debby said...

Your last photo is perfect!

Kay said...

Awesome color!