Wednesday, September 07, 2022

Buzzin Cuzzins

I had another short photo session with our buzzing cuzzins who work our joe pye in the backyard.  I changed how I went about it, and I think the results were better overall. However, you may not see much of a difference in quality between these and the previous post. It's just that I thought that more of the raw photos were in better focus than in that earlier post.

This time around, because I wanted to control both the detail and the movement. I manually set both the aperture and shutter speed. I set the aperture at f11 and the shutter at 1/400sec. With those configured, I left the camera to sort out the ISO. As I moved position and the light changed, the ISO varied from 1600 or 2500, with two shots at 2000. I put the focal point in the centre of the frame but first found the approximate focus of the bee manually. Once I had the bee in the centre of the frame and close to being in focus, I engaged the automatic focus and fired the shot.

This gal ↓ is nose in.


I like being able to see both wings ↓ and the eyes seemingly looking right back at the camera.

This ↓ must be an Australian bee as it was hanging Down Under. I did try to flip the picture, but it didn't look right for some reason.

Finally, this bee ↓ is, itself, upside down, which is a Strange Thing if you know what I mean. Mainly, however, I like the photo for the surrounding pink, both near and far.

I have since tried a third time, so I will probably inflict another round of bee pics on you in the near future.

14 comments:

Jenn Jilks said...

I really enjoy your hard work. You are meticulous and creative. I just don't have any patience these days.

DJan said...

These are wonderful, AC. I enjoyed seeing them all and look forward to another round. :-)

Barbara Rogers said...

Oh I like the effects in these photos.

William Kendall said...

They are very cooperative with you.

NGS said...

Your patience with the bees is admirable. I'm impressed with how much you play around with settings to try and capture them.

Marie Smith said...

These are great photos, better than the last ones, though I liked them too.

gigi-hawaii said...

What strikes me is your steady hands. No blurry photos!

MARY G said...

Really admiring the one where the bee is underneath.
Back when my daughter was competing in gymnastics, I was using a manual camera where I had to figure out the ISO for the gym lighting, with a handheld meter. I needed at least 1/400 to stop the action. It was a pain. I used b/w film, mostly and pushed 400s to 800. Results were grainy but useful to the athlete and a memory for me. I even have some floor shots in decent focus, if I watched the routine often enough to be able to anticipate the move.
This experience is one reason I am so impressed with your hockey shots. Yes, a more versatile range of setups than we had, but you have amazing stop action in what I know are hellish lighting conditions.
And maybe your bees will choose to visit in high sun. It would have to help.

RedPat said...

These bees cooperated nicely with you.

Margaret said...

They are very clear and beautiful with the pink background.

The Furry Gnome said...

Those ones were very good!

Vicki Lane said...

I can almost hear them saying: Here comezzzz that guy again.

roentare said...

I can tell this is of a different approach compared to the last time. I love the way the narrow depth of field is applied.

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Bee-utiful imagery, as always, John, and also appreciated the accompanying commentary. I was all a-buzz reading this post and couldn’t resist the puns. Well, actually, could have, but didn’t. 😉