Friday, September 02, 2022

Birthdays for Two

As of today, I have a 44-year-old child. Not only that, but this is the youngest of my two offspring — by six years, if you please. If you're really good at math, you have just calculated that I will have a 50-year-old child sometime this year. If you're not good at math, I just did it for you because I am a considerate sort of bloke.

A little more helpful math reveals that I am 75 years young as of today.

I converted a 1978 slide format to b&w just recently for the purpose of making a card, which you will see just a little farther om in this post, but for now, this ↓ is the converted image.


PJ was a sweet child, and is now an adult of sweet temperament.

You may not be very familiar with PJ, who lives way out there on the left coast and doesn't make many appearances here. We last saw PJ 5.5 years ago, but we hope that changes soon.

This ↓ is the card that I sent out west: first the front and then the inside, which alludes to what has been a difficult time in PJ's life, hopefully in a humourous way.



I was also born on September 02, thirty-one years earlier than PJ. Strangely enough, we were both born in the 11th hour (or 23rd), so both of us came close to been born on the 3rd. As you can tell, however, my portrait was taken when I was a little older and by a proper photographer in a studio. My mother told me that the photographer added the background when he developed the photo. You see, photoshopping was a thing long before Photoshop became a thing.


This ↓ is an earlier photo taken with my dad when I was pretty new, and judging from the snow, probably sometime from late October to early December, 1947. Not many photos were taken back then, so I am glad of what we have.


I may print that photo of PJ. In fact, I intended to do that yesterday, but computer difficulties prevented me. However, I am glad to write that the problem has been sorted without too much exasperation.

22 comments:

Boud said...

Happy birthday all round. So cool to share a birthday with your son. Thanks for the great family pictures.

Marcia said...

Happy Birthday. Look forward to pics of the celebration that happens today.

Christina said...

This a lovely birthday card, from your heart. Happy Birthday to PJ and you both. I hope you'll get to spend some time together soon. May the seas be gentle for PJ from now on.

Barbara Rogers said...

A great big happy birthday to you both! And that studio photo of you really does look like you still! Give me 5 other little guys in ducky shirts, and I'd definitely have picked you out. Hope P.J. also has a good day and that you get to see him soon. Really sweet photo of him as a babe.

Ed said...

Happy Birthday Old Timer! It sounds like I am somewhere less than 11 months younger than your oldest as my big 50 happens 11 months from now.

Vicki Lane said...

Lovely photos--you were adorable.

Karen said...

Happy Birthday John. Treasure those old photos.

gigi-hawaii said...

Happy birthday to you and PJ. I hope her troubles are not too severe. Hope you will have a nice visit with her soon. Aloha from Hawaii.

Marie Smith said...

Happy birthday to you and PJ. The photos are treasures.

Margaret said...

Happy Birthday to you and to PJ! Love those old photos--they are rare as you mentioned. No easy cameras like our cell phones.

RedPat said...

Love the baby pics but especially like shot with your Dad. Wonderful.

RedPat said...

I forgot to wish you a Happy Birthday. I hope it is a good one.

DJan said...

Happy birthday twice over!

Red said...

Well, happy birthday. I hope you have a great day.

Joanne Noragon said...

Happy birthday to you and to PJ, too.

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Best wishes to you both for dual Happy 🎂celebrations and perhaps in the near future you sill celebrate🎉 together hope you enjoy a great celebration and year ahead,John. Photos to follow?

MARY G said...

Beautiful photo - I love how you captured the shine of baby skin.
Beatiful girl - hope she and partner get to visit soon. My baby is due for a whole whopping three weeks in October, in transit between jobs and countries.
Hey, wait until they break the 55 year mark. THEN you are old.

MARY G said...

That was rude! IO forgot to wish a happy belated by the time you read this birthday to you both.

William Kendall said...

Happy birthday!

Kay said...

Happy belated Birthday, John. And thank you for the adorable photos. Your kids are about the same age as ours. The years speed by, don't they?

Jenn Jilks said...

Yes, we're going to have to go out west next year, I think. My kids are 37, 39 and 43 this year. It is really hard to digest!

Jeanie said...

It's a bit of a shock when they get to ages that are older than one was when they were born or some other milestone! But yes, also very good!