Tuesday, September 20, 2022

Fine Art Minimalism

On the day that Sue and I went to the park to photograph the queen's cup and saucer with maple leaves, I took a few other photos as we ambled along. I can never resist taking photos at the park. This time around I chanced upon an unusual photo op.

There was a heron and a Canada goose is fairly close proximity in the river. While I wished I had ported a telephoto lens, I took some photos anyway. I didn't care for them when the came out of the camera, but with some processing, I really like the final result.

I processed this in a minimalistic, fine art style by letting the water go to white. thereby eliminating all but the pair of critters.


As we walked along the riverbank, the pair remained in proximity, so I kept taking snaps. One of my final attempts led to a very different image from the first.


While I wish that the goose had raised its head and assumed a better posture, I am pleased with the results.

Later, I tried another minimalistic photo with three geese. It didn't turn out quite as well, I guess, but it did turn out well enough, I think.




16 comments:

Marie Smith said...

I like how you experiment with your photos as you do, AC. These are great!

Patio Postcards said...

What fun to play around with your photos. The last one looks rather like a water colouring & perfect for notes cards (IMO). I do like the 2nd photo.

DJan said...

Love them all, AC. You are so talented.

Barbara Rogers said...

How great to attend to the meeting of these two critters, who mostly ignore each other whenever I've seen them. Love the minimalistic treatments too!

Boud said...

Fun playtime.

RedPat said...

Love the first one.

MARY G said...

I really like the minamilist shots, esp the first one. Annoying of the goose not to listen to your command to raise its head and look regal. Yeah. If you have seen the last post Marie put up, with the eagle, she seems to be able to command attention to the camera. Hmmm. Maybe only in PEI.

Margaret said...

I love the ones where the water is white. I didn't think I would!

dellgirl said...

As usual your photos are absolutely BEAUTIFUL! Thank you for sharing with us. Wishing you well, my friend! Have a wonderful week!

William Kendall said...

That first one quite appeals to me.

PipeTobacco said...

I think the first image is the most captivating to me. I looked at its nuances longer than the others. I am not sure why…. but I guess art can be like that…. some especially grab a person more than for another person.

Beautiful work as always!

PipeTobacco

Debby said...

The last picture almost doesn't have enough color variation. The soft grays and the browns of the first picture are what draws your attention to the details of the birds. The last picture almost seems too washed out, with a lot of the details lost. I really like your experiments, and the idea of these pictures used as note cards is a good one.

Jenny Woolf said...

The one with tree reflections is lovely . It reminded me of the Adamski effect

Vicki Lane said...

Oh, these are beautiful!

Jeanie said...

I like how you processed the water "away" from two of the bird shots. It's a lovely technique. I need to try that.

Jenn Jilks said...

I do enjoy the river. I wish we were closer!