Thursday, September 15, 2022

Monday Excursion with Nick

Shall we continue with our three-days-behind theme? Someday, I will again become up-to-date. In fact, there will be days when I have nothing to post although that has seldom stopped me. It's just that I have been on a bit of a tear lately with a number of early morning forays with my camera. That is something that will not continue forever.

However, it did continue on Monday morning but in a very different way than recently.

Most of my morning excursions are local in which I go to a nearby spot for a half hour or so, and then I am back home before normal people roll back the covers.

On Sunday evening, however, Nick texted me and asked if I would like to go to Balaclava in the morning. The place is more than an hour away, and he proposed setting off at 5:15.

I accepted and set my three alarms: watch for 4:00, phone for 4:05, and Alexa for 4:10. Of course, you know that this is what I do on the Sundays when I drive Danica to work, and you likely recall me bragging about never once having to use them. Of course that is for 6:00, and this was for 4:00.

But once again, I didn't require nudging from an alarm, for with the help of dear Lacey, I awoke just after 3:00. I did try, futilely, to get a little more shut-eye until about 3:20 but was soon out of bed having breakfast and coffee before grabbing a quick shower, for it had been a sweaty night.

Needless to say, I was more than on time for Nick, and we were soon off. It was a very foggy drive in places, but Nick didn't seem alarmed.

There is a tumbling-down old sawmill at Balaclava, and Nick knew the kind of photos that he wanted. He headed down the boulders to the water's edge to look along the waterway for some long exposures on the swirling water.


As you know, I hobble with a recalcitrant foot and could only get as far as where I could take this ↑ photo. Even getting that far down the boulders was highly problematic. Nick, however, is disgustingly nimble and is sure-footed as a mountain goat.

So I stayed where I was and took the photos that I could. Once I sat down to develop the photos at the computer, they seemed to be suited for black-and-white treatment.



I did take one more smaller section of the structure ↓ where I could see some light hitting the wall past the window.


There is another structure behind the mill. I confess to adding a fake sky because the blank one was bothering me and ruining the photo. I dislike doing that and almost always won't, but I felt that this photo needed a sky to complete it properly.


Nick was able to get down to the water's edge and managed to get a very nice photo of that tower along with a good reflection, but this was the best composition that I could manage.

I have learned to be satisfied with photographing what I can access and to not worry about what I am missing due to my mobility issue. It is enough to be out and clicking the shutter and then post-processing in what seems to me to be the most suitable way. 

It had been a nice outing, and I was home by 10:30 or so to see what the rest of the day had to offer.

17 comments:

Barbara Rogers said...

What a great subject for photos! Yes, the B&W is really dramatic. I hope you go back to that site after the leaves fall...so there are bare branches to go with the abandoned building.

Vicki Lane said...

What a wonderful site for photography. I'm not a huge fan of black and white but these are just perfect. And I agree about the sky--that's a very lovely picture.

Marcia said...

Great photos all. The last one immediately reminded me of a puzzle photo. DOn't know why.

Marie Smith said...

The fact you can go and take photos and enjoy the time and experience, is wonderful! Celebrate what is! Beautiful!

Patio Postcards said...

You have captured some amazing photos. I really like the last one - perfect on the calendar.

Jeanie said...

Oh, the joys of shooting with a disgustingly nimble mountain goat! I feel quite the same! But the results from where you were standing are wonderful and nothing to complain about! (Your fake sky looks good and I like the B/W.)

Margaret said...

Getting out and shooting different places are part of the adventure. Lovely photos!

RedPat said...

The sawmill looks wonderful in B&W.

William Kendall said...

They do well in black and white. I've only passed through there a handful of times.

The Furry Gnome said...

Very interesting old mill.

DJan said...

I think the addition of your fake sky made the picture just about perfect!

Joanne Noragon said...

Well done!

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

This was a great photo location and the B&W photos really enhance the experience.

Debby said...

Marcia's comment was just what I thought, as soon as I saw it!

Black and white really makes the details of a picture 'pop' sometimes. I like the mill pictures.

roentare said...

That facade with B+W treatment is astounding indeed. Love the decay splendour

Kay said...

I really like that 2nd black and white photo of the structure. Your last photo could be made into a puzzle. It's so pretty.

Jenn Jilks said...

Good work. It is difficult for some to come to terms with changes in mobility. I like your attitude.
My new client is royally pissed off with her limitations. It is really difficult to listen to her constant complaints. sigh.