Saturday, September 17, 2022

Caturday 40: Lacey Falls into Her Fall Chair — aka My Chair

Lacey seems to be making an adjustment to the fall. She hasn’t bothered with my chair for months. Now, when I want to use it, guess what I see. I often wonder if I should shoo her off or take myself elsewhere. Sometimes, I let her be for awhile, but if and when I do shoo her, she crabs at me.


Since Lacey is adapting to fall, I will take the opportunity to go on about it a bit from my perspective  

It really feels fall-like now. The big heat seems to be all but over although I suppose there might be a short-lived hot spell. When I was teaching — never in a air conditioned room, I hasten to add.— some days of the first week back in September were torrid. That would have been the case last week too, but the grandkids’ classes are all in AC-ed rooms, so what the heck, eh. By week two, which would have been this past week, it was almost always quite bearable.

The path of the sun as it enters my window, confirms its progression southward. Where the morning rays once reached way past the computer by maybe 5 feet, now are not even reaching the monitor. When this happens I call it fall, for in meteorological terms, it is.

Yesterday morning was 8C/46F. I was not enticed to venture forth with camera in hand. And it was pretty dark for a pretty long time. This morning too. Early morning hasn’t been inviting since Monday’s trip to the sawmill. 

I was so tired after awaking at 3:30, which is an absolutely ridiculous time to awake after probably less than 5 hours of sleep. Sleeping until 4:45 this morning was much better, especially since I got just a little more than 6 hours. Six hours are usually enough for me to be at least semi conscious during the day. On very rare occasions, I manage close to 7 hours, and, perhaps once a year, the powers that be grant me somewhere close to 8 hours. Well, I think that has happened once this year. 

It seems fitting to inform you that Lacey has now confiscated my chair on this Caturday morn. Y'all have a good un. Eh?

17 comments:

Marcia said...

40º here again this morning. Inside the thermometer reads 62º. when we finally do fire up the furnace we decided this year to have the low at 65 and the high at 68. Layers of clothing will be the dress for the days to come.

Vicki Lane said...

I think you should accept that it is Lacey's chair which she will occasionally graciously allow you to use.

Boud said...

Fall is when I haul out the quilt, but still have an open bedroom window

Tabor said...

Sadly or perhaps not, I would demand my chair with as much love and affection as I could muster. Maybe I would have a treat in hand. It seems cats' egos need that. Dogs seem to realize where they are on the pecking ladder.

Margaret said...

51 this morning and was into the 40s last night. It will warm up into the high 60s which is fallish weather indeed. I'm happy to be rid of the 90s at least! Lacey and Mari like our chairs although Mari doesn't grumble when I kick her out of the recliner.

Elizabeth Varadan, Author said...

Cats are like that! I like how you assess when fall has actually arrived. Meanwhile, your comment about no air conditioning in classrooms brought back memories. When I first started teaching, it was in a school with no air conditioning and we usually started the first day after Labor Day weekend, in sweltering heat.THAT to deal with anymore. Regards to your cat and best of luck for getting your chair back.

Oh: Thanks for the recommendation of Elly Griffiths' books. I just finished The Crossing Places. What a gripping tale! Can't wait to read more of her books.

Elizabeth Varadan, Author said...

Oops, part of my sentence above got cut off. (I'm so glad teachers don't have THAT to deal with anymore.)

Marie Smith said...

It has turned colder here too and the light is diminished a great deal as well. Sigh!

RedPat said...

Cats rule their empires.

roentare said...

Majestic as she is. Regal is her name. I want to avoid broken heart that I stopped having a pet after the last loss.

William Kendall said...

The solution of course is to buy another chair.

Which she will then also claim.

DJan said...

We were almost that cold here, too. I really like the cold and am glad the heat is probably gone for the duration. Lacey's look is a little scary to contemplate disturbing her. :-)

Joanne Noragon said...

You old softie, you.

Red said...

Cats train us, not us train cats.

Jenn Jilks said...

I understand about sleeping issues. I am so glad to be retired, though, as naps are often the way to go.

I really like the changing seasons. I'm tired of working in the garden, losing the battle with the weeds!

Debby said...

I have to say, by the look on her face, you might just want to let her have your chair. You just go find another one.

Jeanie said...

We've had some super warm days followed by quite cool nights. Today it's only supposed to be in the 60sF and I suspect that will be more the trend. It "feels" like fall I think. I wouldn't mind it waiting a bit longer!