Sunday, September 18, 2022

In Her PPE Finery

Shauna posted this on Thursday evening,


COVID isn't over. There is an outbreak on the second floor of Shauna's retirement residence, They are in isolation up there, and this is what she has to wear when she does ascend to check in on the old folk. This is the second flare-up now that we no longer worry about the pandemic. Oddly enough, they escaped all of the previous outbreaks when the pandemic was being taken more seriously.

Almost all of the residents are vaxxed, of course, and I think the only few who aren't both vaxxed and boosted have resisted due to problematic aftereffects. I assume and hope that all will make it through without serious sickness.

The 3rd booster is currently arriving in health facilities, which reminds me, that I must get to the website, sooner than later to book an appointment.

Meanwhile, I continue to mask-up in grocery stores, which are really the only stores that I ever visit. I am not so diligent at coffee outings, however, but I do choose to keep going and take my chances. While I intend to wear a mask until I sit down at the table, we all know that the road to hell is paved with good intentions. 

However, I will forego fall fairs, art tours and crowded events that are on now. It's not much of a deprivation since we are not particularly drawn to them anymore, having already experienced our share in our lifetimes. At this stage of life, we can miss them without really missing them, if you catch my drift.


14 comments:

Jenn Jilks said...

That is too bad. At least she has protection.

I didn't find the Perth Fair too bad, as there aren't all that many people. We will avoid any craft shows, for sure. I loved those fall tours.
Our grandies are still wearing masks in school, except for gym. That makes me feel safer. We are both booked for the bivalent Spikevax at the end of this month.

William Kendall said...

I attended an event here a few days back and didn't contract it. A colleague attended the same event and did. Whether it was that event or not, he wouldn't know, but it was high traffic.

Barbara Rogers said...

Great looking PPE's. Hoping that the virus just fades away (sooner rather than later!) Still having some people getting it around here...and I'm masking in any indoor situations. Stay safe!

DJan said...

Still having some soreness and tiredness from my third booster almost a week ago. But I really really don't want to get Covid.

Marie Smith said...

We will book the third booster for later this autumn. We hope to travel next February. We’ll see how that goes…

Margaret said...

You're being smart--doing the things you want and foregoing possibly crowded venues that don't mean much to you anymore. I'm doing more coffee dates and lunches out although outside which is less of a risk. At least, it FEELS that way. I'm waiting until mid-October for the third booster. I want it to (hopefully) carry me through the holidays and my grandson's birth. Hope everyone gets through the illness and comes out the other end. Hard to know with the elderly group of whom we are now members.

RedPat said...

I'm still masking up when inside anywhere but forgot at one place this week. So far no effects from that.

Ed said...

We are nearing 100% herd immunity here in our community. Everyone's just about had it and it seems to be infecting those who wear masks and take precautions just about as easily as those who don't. It is a virulent beast. Fortunately, for those vaxxed, it is fairly benign. Unfortunately, we still have unvaxxed people dying from it.

Red said...

I do not wear masks at all but I know that I should. I find the mask very difficult to wear with glasses.

Joanne Noragon said...

I haven't had the 3rd booster yet. Better get on it.

MARY G said...

I just put a new bag of masks in the car. Like you, I wear them in stores and in company with strangers. We have given up on them for things like book club, where we know we are all careful and we do space out and ventilate. Yes, I am avoiding fairs and such, but I do have my two Afghan families, so some risk.
My ED went to a conference and came home with Covid. One really feeling miserable day and a week quaranteening in her own house. Then she and spouse went to another conference and HE came home with it.
Avoid conferences in Europe and be safe.

Kay said...

I was seeing the photos of the long lines and people gathered together for the funeral and viewing with almost no one wearing a mask. I shudder to think how many COVID cases there will be after this.

Debby said...

School was in session for four days before my husband's grandson tested postive. Then his mother got it. And his brother. I feel almost superstitious about saying it out loud, but Tim and I have managed to duck it for nearly 3 years now.

Jeanie said...

I continue to mask up. The massive pandemic may have eased but Covid hasn't around here. Somehow, after a direct exposure two weeks ago, I haven't had it but I'm one of the few. I hope to keep it that way!