Tuesday, August 02, 2022

Tip

Sunday was quite the driving day for both humans and beasties. 

Shauna and the kids took something like 7 hours to drive the 600+km from Sarnia to home.

Meanwhile 40 rescue dogs were travelling 18 hours from Manitoba to Ottawa. 

Tip, a 6-month-old mongrel with seemingly a lot of golden retriever in her, was one such dog.

Shauna had applied to be a doggy foster mom, but she got the notice during her very long trip home that she was expected to pick up the dog that very evening. Off she and the kids drove for another hour to the other side of Ottawa. They met Tip, got all sorts of supplies and instructions, and set of to drive another hour back to home.

It was all a bit much for Tip who suffered several horrific explosions all over the car. This required pulling off the highway in the middle of the night to clean up both pooch and car as best they could.

They got home at 12:30am.

We don't know many details, but Tip seems to have been rescued from Northern Manitoba, I presume from a reserve, where many dogs were running freely and seemingly not being cared for very well.

They brought her over yesterday, and Tip seems like a sweet gem of a thing. The kids, JJ especially, love her and are already nagging Shauna to adopt Tip. We shall see, but if I were a betting man, I would bet that Tip has found a home. If not, she will receive loving care until she does.

JJ was the chief minder while they were here while Danica was eating lunch
after work, but Danica had to have her time too.

Kisses anyone?

Jonathan is in love. He reports progress in teaching her to sit.

I was Tip's least favourite person. Of course, I was, but I managed to get ahold of her briefly.

Lacey was most unimpressed, seemed to growl, and then retreated.




25 comments:

William Kendall said...

That last shot speaks volumes.

Marie Smith said...

Lol. One can imagine how Lacey felt.

Patio Postcards said...

Poor Lacey, an invader into her home (col). Hopefully all the dogs get permanent loving homes; yeah for people like Shauna & family.

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

That was quite the adventure for humans and dog and agreed that it looks like Tip has found loving owners, especially Jonathan who seems besotted. Hope all works out for everyone although Lacey is not pleased in the least.

Barbara Rogers said...

She looks like a sweet dog...and your grands seem enamored! Glad they've got the summer to walk her and house-train her. Come winter it will be a different story! Ach! I'm an old grump aren't I!

DJan said...

She is a sweetheart but looks entirely terrified!

Ed said...

Explosions? I'm shuddering at the thought of many of those occurring in my vehicle.

Boud said...

I wonder if she's been mistreated by men? She seems okay with women and kids. I've had rescues who were terrified of certain groups - one cat who would hide if she heard teenage boys in the street.

I think Tip might have found her home!

Marcia said...

A dog in your grandkids present and possibly future. I thought they had a dog already.

RedPat said...

She is a cutie. I would be in love with her and couldn't give her up.

Anvilcloud said...

@Boud. I thought the same thing. It applies to our cat as well. Although there is now some trust, it still isn't like it is with Sue and the kids.

@Marcia. Shauna's boyfriend has a dog, which Shauna sometimes kidnaps for a day, but they don't live together.

Margaret said...

Tip is beautiful and does look mostly GR. Goldens are the nicest of dogs. From what I see, I would suspect that he's joined your family. Lacey won't enjoy his visits!

Margaret said...

Oops, she. For some reason, Tip sounds like a male name, probably because of a former politician named Tip O'Neill.

gigi-hawaii said...

What a cute dog! She won me over instantly.

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Forgot to say thanks, AC, for the link to Sue's photo group, but since it's on Facebook this one is not for me as aside from blogging, I avoid all other social platforms. That said, Sue and her group seem to be doing quite a number of interesting and challenging project and thanks for sharing in your blog posts. She has become quite skilled at cell phone photography.

Jenn Jilks said...

Well, I bet there will be many more stories!!!
People like you, don't they?! (ツ) from Jenn Jilks , ON, Canada!

PipeTobacco said...

Tip is very cute. Lacey’s face DOES tell a story! 😜

PipeTobacco

MARY G said...

That dog has a very expressive face and her expression with you tells it all. I will not take your bet - a sure thing is not worth playing.

DrumMajor said...

Miss Tip looks almost full Golden Retriever. Guard your bathtub water; she may beat you to it! They like to chew things for a couple of years, so lots of old socks with a knot in them. Our GR seemed to know not to bother other socks. They love to dig in sand too. Have fun! Linda in Kansas

Joanne Noragon said...

What a brutal trip, including a sick pup. Kudos to your kids.

Kay said...

I’m wondering about the explosion too. Oh my goodness! He looks like a sweet dog and it also looks like he’s found a home.

Debby said...

That dog has such a sweet, sweet face. I love the picture of her and Jonathan as she peers around the coffee table.

Christina said...

Tip has a cute face. I hope she settles in well.

Jeanie said...

Tip has a beautiful face. I admire Shauna for that. Our daughter-in-law (and the rest of them, because as you know, it's a package deal) is fostering dogs. Poor guy in the car. I hope he'll be ok now that he's with good people.

Vicki Lane said...

What a beautiful girl!