Monday, August 29, 2022

Of Muffin Tins and Birders

When I awoke bright and early on Saturday, I stumbled my way to the coffee machine as is my custom. If I have set it up the night before, I do this first, before going to the unowut. Nothing happened. And that was the beginning of a six hour power outage. Something went awry out there, but I don't know what, and it doesn't matter.

After the four day marathon in the dark a few months ago, we should  have been prepared, but we weren't quite ready. It didn't matter much, or so we thought, because we were texted that power would be restored by 8:15. The trouble is that 8:15 became 8:30, then 10:00, and finally11:00. Thank heavens for small mercies that it came on then because we had to leave at 12:00 for that family get-together that afternoon.

Meanwhile, we had both awaken with headaches, and the lack of coffee was not helping at all. However, after some trial and error, Sue was able to boil some water for coffee.

The deep muffin tin on the right ↑ worked. The more shallow didn't,, or at least not quickly. The pot that we started on shallower muffin tin to the left was moved over to the right after we had used that water. In this experiment we only boiled a cup, but it did work. I guess it's good to keep that in mind.

You may wonder why we didn't get out the camp stove that had been such a saviour previously. In fact,  we should have, but it was stuck up in the rafters. Thinking at the start that we'd have to wait as long as we did, we didn't bother to go scaling the heights to find the stove. We'll try to make it more accessible for next time.

=======================

This next part has nothing to do with that, but it did happen on the same day. After we met our relations at the park and chose a spot to set up our chairs, there were photographers all about.



They were shooting this ↓ shorebird. I think someone said sandpiper, but I am not sure. I took a shot just to record the event. It's not much of a shot, but the guys who were there for the duration with their long lenses and at better angles likely did much better. Well, they couldn't have done worse. Right?

The bird was there for the whole two hours that we were, feeding on plentiful minnows I was told. Some of the photographers were also there for the duration.


The man on the left ↑ tried to help me, telling me that I could take his spot to get a good shot. I think he was surprised when I told him that I was more interested in photographing the photographers than the bird. Well I was really only there for the relatives and not to shoot birds. But he was being nice and friendly.

=======================

BONUS

My photography headlight came in handy during the outage
particularly in the wee hours

M took a group photo before we parted ways. You can see that I am ready to go
with my chair and camera and I am also grasping my cane.
Perspective is interesting as I am the tallest of the group.




18 comments:

Patio Postcards said...

The muffin tin & candles to heat water is a brilliant idea - genius! We have many power outages in our village, it's a standing joke among long time residences. There's a joke that the by-law states, no two people within village borders are allowed to sneeze at the same time! Yet surprisely in the major storm last week, we didn't even have a flicker of loss power.

Nice to have a family gathering. As for the birders, in the first photo - WOW that is some lense!

Boud said...

I didn't realize at first that the photographer with the massive lens or spotting scope wasn't AC! I wondered why we hadn't heard about his equipment before now :)

Barbara Rogers said...

That's so funny...you, the photographer, taking photos of photographers. Doesn't anyone else think that hilarious? Well, it's a nice bird too! Love your family portrait! Mine had the same warp effect, which in many years will leave people wondering if you'd shrunk.

DJan said...

That is a huge camera in the first photo. And I notice that Sue is the only one in the last shot who is in the sun. :-)

Marcia said...

Does this word in your text "unowut" = you know what? If so never seen that spelling.
Our recent power outage lasted a minute but that was enough to mess up three different clocks.

Vicki Lane said...

Those are some serious long lenses. but then birders tend to be serious sorts.

gigi-hawaii said...

We always buy Cold Brew Coffee from Target and drink that instead of brewing coffee in the morning. It's so convenient! Tastes great, too. You made me laugh when you told the guy you were more interested in photographing the photographers.

Ed said...

I've never understood huge lenses like that. Sure if you are a photographer that sells his work, they make sense. But for the person that just takes a digital closeup of a duck that will be stored on his computer until it isn't anymore and disappears, it seems like a colossal waste of money. But then again, it is probably much cheaper overall than a cocaine habit.

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Glad all worked out in the end, AC, especially the long-awaited reunion. We do not have any back-up plan should the electricity go out here in terms of coffee making as sadly the stovetops are not gas. Those long lenses were amazing to see and what a fun idea to capture the photographers capturing that lone bird, which does look to be a yellow legged sandpiper.

Margaret said...

Perspective is interesting. I hate being in the forefront of a photo because I look huge! The get together looks great--lots of friendly faces. Hmmm, perhaps I should get my campstove back from Older Daughter.

Marie Smith said...

Love the photos of the photographers and their cameras!

RedPat said...

That is some major camera equipment those people have.

Red said...

I thought the unowhat wasn't working and that would have been serious. However, it was the power not working. I was relieved.

Jeanie said...

I never in a million years would have thought to boil water over muffin tins. That's brilliant.

William Kendall said...

The weather forecast for tonight suggests possibilities for power outages with storms moving through. We'll find out.

Joanne Noragon said...

Some of those lenses are in disguises.

Jenn Jilks said...

I like photographing photographers!
Sorry about the outage. What a pain. I love my trusty glass pot that I use on the BBQ.

Blondi Blathers said...

I think that bird is too large to be a sandpiper. I'd guess it's a yellowlegs. Did it have yellow legs?

Just catching up on your blog. Happy Belated Birthday, dude.

-Kate