Monday, August 22, 2022

Some Luck Involved

Yesterday, I awoke a bit late. I think it was around 4:30. To be clear, it’s not late for normal people, but it is for me considering how early I’ve been waking and going out just lately. I have tended to be out and shooting by 5:00 or close to it, and I didn't feel like rushing about. After not being able to go back to sleep, however, I did arise about 15 minutes later at 4:45.

Undecided and not in a hurry, I sipped a somewhat leisurely cup of coffee. It was 5:30. Was that too late? It depended on where I would go.

There are two almost adjacent spots by the river that I didn't think would be totally dependent on good and early light. As it eventuated, I got light anyway as we shall see after this ↓ first photo.

↑ Last time we visited the restaurant with the patio, Sue noticed that we could get a good view of the clock tower through a gap in the trees from the parking lot, and the tree branches would provide a frame. Unexpectedly, when editing, I decided to remove the framing branches and just show the tower ↑ against the sky. I think it is an effective image. In retrospect, it would ne nice to see the flag better, but I wasn't thinking about that at the time, and there wasn't much wind anyway.

I had been photographing the tower from way out in the parking lot, but when I got nearer the building to take a picture or two that didn't work out, I saw some unanticipated sunrise glow through the trees. Then, I noticed that the gate to the patio was open. 

Somewhat boldly, went I onto the empty patio for there were neither customers nor workers for me to disturb at that hour. Besides, I am a patron and felt somewhat at ease taking this liberty.

There was some nice light over the former Boulton Brown Mill (building near centre, middle).

I took more photos in the next few minutes, some of town hall, but that one ↑ and this one ↓ were the best. This one ↓ was only about 5 minutes after that ↑ earlier photo, but the sky had changed quite a lot in that short time. Note: the outline of the old mill is more visible in this image.

I don't always do this, but I did remove distracting elements in all of these photos. Aside from what I already mentioned about the first photo, there were also some branches to remove in the latter two, as well as a bit of fence railing in one of them.

All in all, this was a somewhat lucky and serendipitous excursion. My good fortune was in deciding to go out despite the later-than-usual time and then ending up in a somewhat unplanned spot, and after that, even finding the gate to the restaurant patio open. Finally, there was that unexpected but very fine sunrise.


12 comments:

Patio Postcards said...

The first photo of the clock tower - what an amazing sky colour. And the sky in the last photo is quite moody but nice.

DJan said...

These are all especially moving. I like the last one the best.

Barbara Rogers said...

I really like that last photo with the sky reflection as well as the silhouetted buildings!

Marcia said...

Lovely all. There must be a chance to show these in town now that Covid is on the wan.

gigi-hawaii said...

I like the last one because it has more color due to sunrise. Also love the reflection on the water. This would be a nice watercolor painting.

Marie Smith said...

It was fortuitous you went in spite of the time, AC. Great shots.

RedPat said...

You got some great shots on this excursion.

Margaret said...

Those are gorgeous photos! You did well!!

William Kendall said...

Terrific shots. Some mornings I am out early. Others? Definitely not.

Red said...

Great color at this time of day.

Joanne Noragon said...

Last is best.

Jeanie said...

It's a fabulous image -- and so are the two distance sunrise shots. Truly beautiful. But yes, that tower has impact!