Saturday, August 06, 2022

Saving JJ

We don't phone in our family, but we do communicate frequently – by text. So it was that there were stressful communications from Jonathan yesterday. You see, he was in charge of puppy, Tip, and it wasn't going well. She was not behaving for him, and he was getting quite agitated.

We went over. I stayed outside while Sue handled the situation. Within moments I was called in because all was under control, for Tip had been crated and was settling right down.

You may be wondering why I remained outside, but the reason is simple. Tip has shown some fear and angst with me, and we did not need to exacerbate an already problematic situation.

You may also be wondering why JJ was tasked with minding Tip for the day. That is because Shauna had intended to take her to work but realized that Tip was to be under some sort of quarantine for a week. Beside, Jonathans loves Tip – or did. I don't know how he feels today. 😀

Shauna had asked to foster an older dog, but in this situation where they needed to foster many dogs at once, the family was given a younger dog: a younger dog who comes from a very different situation than living in a townhouse with a family.

I took Jonathan out for a treat and then to his Dad's house, and Sue and I dogsat for the afternoon. Despite being strange with me in the house, she walked with me just fine.


Who knows whether Tip will adapt to going to work with Sha. It remains to be seen. For me, dogs are a  high reward but high maintenance proposition. I guess that is why I favour cats. I have no ambition to walk a dog multiple times a day in all kinds of weather, like yesterday when it was very hot in the sun, nevermind  in freezing or snowy winter.

===========================

Sue and I did get out for a bike ride yesterday morning before the highly stressed texts began to arrive. We did our longest ride yet although it is still not long by any means.

Ride #13

And here's a selfie of sorts from a recent ride when Sue had a yellow photo theme.





18 comments:

DJan said...

Good thing you saved little Tip from having a meltdown. She's a cutie but I know what you mean about dogs being high maintenance in comparison to cats. I like that last picture. :-)

Barbara Rogers said...

I would guess she's still a puppy. Needs a bit of training maybe, as well as having owners learn dog training tricks. I have a friend going through that with a new pup and it is not going well.

Boud said...

Puppies are a handful at the best of times, and for Tip these are frightening and confusing times. I'm glad she's in understanding hands.

Margaret said...

It's wonderful that you were there to help him out. Puppies, and especially that breed, can be hard to handle. I agree with you about cats--much easier!

RedPat said...

On those awful rainy or sleety nights I am glad not to have to take a dog for a walk but most of the time they are a treat to have.

peppylady (Dora) said...

Such lovely little guy.
Coffee is on and stay safe

Marie Smith said...

That’s a selfie I would take!

Glad all was okay with Tip.

Vicki Lane said...

Really cute dog. It often takes a rescue a while to adjust to a new situation

Red said...

Keep on biking I found that certain things set goals for you like calories burned.

Joanne Noragon said...

It is so kind of Shaunna to foster a dog, let alone a high maintenance puppy. Poor JJ, not a trained dog handler. Thanks for giving him a hand.

William Kendall said...

It is possible that Tip has had a negative experience with an older male.

Debby said...

Puppies are a handful, but with a little (okay...a LOT of) patience, they outgrow puppyhood. However, you are right. They always need walked.

Debby said...

Puppies are a handful alright. With patience, they will get past that stage. However, you are right. They will always need walked.

DrumMajor said...

From your previous post, I wondered if the dog had been mistreated by a bearded guy. Do you wanna shave your beard and see? But that's SO good she'll cooperate for walking. Lots of repetitive obedience training consistently from all involved with Tip will help. We took our Golden to a vet's puppy training class. It was really funny how the dogs would do as requested because they watched other dogs behavior correctly. The shelter you're fostering her from may have training classes too. Linda in Kansas

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

The reasons you expressed for not wanting to be a dog owner are ones we agree with completely. It seems that the new puppy is also getting used to these changes and adoptive family members.

Jeanie said...

You nailed it with dogs/cats. I love dogs. Other people's. Cats use their own box and don't need to go out for walks or the necessary. (Well, most do. Lizzie thought outside of the box here at the lake again today and we're hoping this was because she was mad at us for leaving her for a day). You CAN leave them for a day (they may pay you back, but it's an option.) They don't eat as much. And they're awfully sweet!

I hope things work out for Tip.

Jenn Jilks said...

What a challenge. Good for you for helping out!

Kay said...

Do you think Tip could be agitated because she considers you the BIG Alpha male? Granted, I know next to nothing about dogs. Art is the expert dog lover.