Friday, August 19, 2022

A Quick Morning Photoshoot

I had one of those nights on Tuesday. I awoke at 2 with intestinal cramps and didn't sleep afterward. I fired up the heating pad and placed it on my abdomen. Eventually, the pain began to subside. Of course, several trips to the commode were crucial in the process.

After about a half hour, I was doing pretty well, but of course, I was beyond sleep by then. I lay quietly, listening to podcasts for about another hour before arising and brewing coffee. I wrote yesterday's blog post before deciding to head out the the camera.

It was shortly after 5 by then, and I headed to a park on the river. Pre-sunrise was happening downstream. I tried a few shots, but the sunrise glow was on the edge of the frame, and I wasn't about to wade into the river to get a better composition.

I realize that my low light photos don't show their best at Blogger resolution, but they're not bad on a good, big monitor.

I had it in mind to photograph the derelict Hawthorne factory (on the right, below), but the light wasn't over the factory, so the results were only okay with no lights in the building itself. Still, the reflections are pretty good.


Because photography is about the light, my fave of the morning was this ↓ unplanned photo of the canoe club. 


I also took this ↓ next one for the Monday bench challenge in Flickr, mostly because there is a bench. Once again, it is okay, but I don't like it as much as the previous photo. You can see that compared to the photo, above, it was getting brighter out, which, I guess, is a plus.

It was a fairly brief outing. I was back home not long after 6, so the trip and shoot only took about an hour.


17 comments:

Marie Smith said...

This is a beautiful series, AC. It was worth losing the night’s sleep. Easy for me to say!

DJan said...

I like the reflections very much.

Boud said...

I like best the ghostly atmospheric Hawthorne factory. Much better with no lights on. It's significant. Thanks for the early morning trip.

Barbara Rogers said...

Sorry about those cramps, been there, done that! No fun. Glad you were able to survive and become creative. My fav is second to last.

Ed said...

Those middle of the night stomach cramps are the worst. I have never tried a heating pad though and may have to give it a go the next time I am visited by them.

Margaret said...

Those are beautiful photos! I love the top one and the lit up building. That would be dreary to be awake that early. Glad you made the best of it!

gigi-hawaii said...

Too bad you had a bad night. Hopefully, you can make up for it tonight and sleep soundly. Your photos are all lovely.

RedPat said...

I'm so impressed by your early morning excursions - I would be too lazy to head out. I like the canoe club reflection the best too.

Red said...

Every photo counts for something to learn.

William Kendall said...

These do stand out.

PipeTobacco said...

I like the orange colors in photo #1 especially and the reflections especially in photo #2.

Are you sure you are consuming adequate fluids? Intestinal cramps can often be related to poor hydration. Even though it is a hassle with the additional urinary output…. I work hard to be EXTREMELY hydrated….especially with the running I do. For me it is very helpful to help expel lactic acid (from muscles) and other cellular wastes generally. I probably average 1 - 1.5 gallons (~3.5 - 5.5 liters) a day depending on my mood.

PipeTobacco

The Furry Gnome said...

I like all of those, but I'm sorry you go through such middle-of-the-night discomfort to get them.

Joanne Noragon said...

These are wonderful pictures, especially the really low lights.

Kay said...

These really are beautiful, John.

I've been getting up at the middle of the night too. Thankfully, it's not because of pain. I just can't get back to sleep. It's so aggravating.

MARY G said...

Great colour, and the bench shot is one of your story boards. Love it.

Jeanie said...

I like the photos -- very moody and they do show up quite well here. I love that you make your early wake-up time so productive and hope the cramps subside.

Kipper said...

Sorry about your unsettled night, so frustrating. Look at the positives. Some great shots.🤣😂
I prefer that I can see the bench in the foreground. More interest.