Sunday, August 28, 2022

It Finally Happened

It was March Break 2020. Sue's nephew, wife and their new son were in the area. We set up a restaurant meeting in Perth. But COVID hit. The preceding Friday was the day when caution hit in its fullness. The meetup was cancelled.

I haven't seen them since then. They live at some distance, about a 5 hour drive on the other side of Toronto, which we no longer care to drive through.

But they were passing through this weekend, and we met in a park in Ottawa between their B&B and our residence. 

They are wonderful kids, and we enjoy their company. 

We sat in a beautiful park on a beautiful day for two hours before we had to part ways again, somewhat prematurely it seemed, due to other commitments.

I sat in my chair snapping pictures. In those circumstances, I just look for moments as they happen. I can't be worrying about light or anything else apart from pressing the shutter.

So here we go.

I don't know what my relationship is to children of my wife's nephew. Am I a grand uncle, a great uncle, a great grand uncle? I've never understood these things and likely never will. I think Ed will know if he happens to read this piece.

The eldest boy is 3 years old. We would have met him back in March 2020, but we didn't.


They since have had another child. Both boys are delightful. The younger boy is 1 year old.


Aren't they both incredibly cute?

Here they are together.

Here's baby boy with his mother and then Sue, who was quite thrilled to have this visitation. She is the only one he favoured, which I understand completely.



And here's big boy with dad.


What a great two hours it was.


20 comments:

Jenn Jilks said...

What a lovely visit! Cute little ones.

Barbara Rogers said...

The pony tail family! Since Sue is his Aunt, you'd just follow along as Uncle. Then great A and U for the kiddies to call you...but they're too young to do so. Very nice family photos...I'm sure they'll appreciate them too!

Boud said...

What a great meeting! Beautiful kids, too. English has poor words for relationships. Other cultures have all kinds of words to describe even the most distant connections, even having different words for each side of the family.

DJan said...

How wonderful to see these beautiful people! Thanks for sharing them with me. :-)

gigi-hawaii said...

Just adorable! What a nice photo shoot for you!

Marcia said...

I was wondering about the young boy's pony tail until I saw his Dad. Cute.

Vicki Lane said...

Great pictures! But how could you miss with such beauties!

William Kendall said...

Very cute!

Margaret said...

What a delightful meet up in a bueatiful locale! Sue's nephew is your nephew too, right? So his kids are your great-nephews. (or grand-nephews if you prefer)

Celia said...

Such a happy meet-up. Hope you get to see them again sooner.

Marie Smith said...

Time with family! Perfect!

Jeanie said...

These are beautiful portraits, AC. I hope they appreciate your skill! So glad you could all get together after such a long while.

Kay said...

Cute, cute, CUTE!!!

Joanne Noragon said...

Wonderful you got to connect with them. You are richer for it.

peppylady (Dora) said...

Sound like wonderful time. Children are sure joyful
Coffee is on and stay safe

MARY G said...

Georgeous kids. Pretty damn good photos too. Love the first one.
Just go with 'Unk'?

Debby said...

What wonderful pictures. You all are a good looking bunch!

Heather said...

They are great kids, aren't they. And whatever the logistics, you guys are 'The Great' and 'The Best':) The pics are delightful!

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

These certainly are beautiful shots of a wonderful family get together. You did great on capturing these children who were terrific photo subjects. Glad Sue and you were able to reunite with family after so long.

Ed said...

Please forgive me. I usually avoid the internet on weekends and sometimes posts like this slip by me. Thanks for pointing it out though.

I'm not sure there is a technical term for what you are looking for. To Sue's sibling (you didn't reveal gender), you are a brother-in-law. So to the nephew, you would be an Uncle-in-law and to their son, Granduncle-in-law. That is my definition of your position right or wrong.

Many people however group uncles by marriage and uncles by blood in the same category as just plain old uncle. Personally, I think the appropriate title just depends on your closeness to the person. I consider myself uncle to my brother-in-law's children and they refer to me that way too. But we have met a number of times over the years and spend quite a bit of time together each of those times.