Sunday, August 21, 2022

Failing to Nail the Hawthorne

Two posts back, I showed a photo of the Hawthorne that some liked, but that may have been more on Flickr than here. I wanted to try some more both in edit and in the field.

I converted the same photo that I showed previously into b&w. Meh. Very meh.

I processed a similar but vertical photo, but I really want colour, but it wasn't reaching the Hawthorne..


On the second day, I got some colour near the ↓ building. One would like a little more light and detail on the building, but what can you do? The scene was what it was.


Maybe if I could move myself way over to the right, I could change the angle to get the light surrounding the building more.

Unfortunately, to the right lies a woodsy path. I proceeded along until I found a little gap. Could I get down the gap to the river edge and look back? No! And I was not about to wade into the river for a better angle in the dark with uncertain footing. You may recall that I once lost a $2000+ camera that way.

On I went to the next gap. Same thing.

I trudged onto the third opening with high hopes because I knew the opening was bigger. Drat it all, the trees by the riverbank were still obscuring the sightlines.

Back toward the [parking lot I trudged. I did see a little gap in the trees, so I took this ↓ photo. Once again, it is okay, but not quite what I wanted. I like it though.


What can yo do? Sometimes, the photos are there for the picking; sometimes, they aren't.


15 comments:

Marie Smith said...

That second one is perfection, AC.

Barbara Rogers said...

And all taken with you walking about in the dark. SO I appreciate these dark photos, knowing that.

Jeanie said...

I hear what you're saying but I don't think the b/w is as meh as you do. Or maybe sepia filter for it. It has a vintage look from another time. Our inner critics can be a bear sometimes, can't they? Mine is named Inez and she's a pain!

Vicki Lane said...

I admire your dedication. The three color photos are wonderful.

Marcia said...

You do try hard. I think your camera loss was before I started reading your blog.

RedPat said...

I like shot 2 a lot.

Jenn Jilks said...

I truly enjoy the quality of your photos. I am so happy to do a decent drive-by shooting. I have low standards!

Red said...

I've had the same experience. The next spot always looks good but when you get there there's something else that blocks your sight.

Ed said...

Your "meh" photo is the one that does it for me. I think it is a gem!

The Furry Gnome said...

I do really like that first photo.

Joanne Noragon said...

Pesky pictures!

William Kendall said...

Your second is my favourite.

peppylady (Dora) said...

Look like your having fun with photos
Coffee is on and stay safe

Margaret said...

I do like that last photo and also am impressed with the black and white one, mostly for its atmosphere. I admire you for working hard for the best shots. I'm very lazy that way.

Debby said...

The last picture is spooky.