Friday, August 26, 2022

The Susans

Our daylilies are done, so I cut all of those bare stocks down and left the foliage. It looks somewhat better now. The echinacea patch is not doing so well either, but it looks a little less forlorn now that I've deadheaded the worst of the decaying specimens.

However, when we stopped by the garden at the museum, there ware many rudbeckia (yellow/orange coneflowers aka brown or black-eyed susans) still doing well enough. I wandered about for a few minutes taking a few freehand macro photos. For a change, I will show you some of my photos. lol

The focal point is clear in this ↓ but there's other stuff going on, and the background is light enough to peer into it. So, I think that although the eye lands on the focal flower, I think it can also roam about the image. I’ll consider that to be a positive in this case  

This ↓ is a soft focus with a much more out-of-focus background than the first photo, but there are spots of colour, which, I think, make it pleasant. Some photographers, however, would not appreciate the soft focus and would wish for the flower to be tack sharp  

This one ↓ I didn't like very much until I cropped it into a 1:1 square from the original 3:2 ratio that was very dark on the much extended right. After cropping tightly, I think the result is fair enough without so much dark, negative space.


By the way, I don't mind photographing imperfections in the flowers as they age and wear down, but I know that many people don't share my aesthetics.




13 comments:

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

We all have imperfections and wear down just as these flowers so photographing them as they are made for some wonderful flower portraits, in my opinion, and obviously yours as well.

Marie Smith said...

Growing bits of sunshine. Perfection!

DJan said...

Nice!

NGS said...

I really like the soft focus on that second photo. It really makes the flower look angelic!

Stevenson Q said...

I love every single one of these three photos. If I have to choose a personal favorite, Id say the last one. I can imagine it hanging on a beautiful living room!

gigi-hawaii said...

It's like taking photos of old wrinkled people. Imperfections give people character. BTW, Sue's clothes look so beautiful. I love those pictures in your previous post.

Barbara Rogers said...

All these are beautiful to me...but if I only could purchase one, it would be the first. That shows that I'm a little off kilter, preferring the asymmetrical flower.

Margaret said...

That first one looks like it has an eyeball in it! I love flower shots.

Red said...

Now I know what to do with my day lilies.

William Kendall said...

The last is my favourite.

Kay said...

We had coneflowers in our garden in Illinois. Your beautiful photos reminded me of how much I loved them. I do always love seeing your macros.

Jenn Jilks said...

I like the reality of imperfections.

Jeanie said...

Looking good! The Susans and one geranium (and a zillion sunflowers) are about the only leftovers I have in my garden. And I certainly haven't taken any lovely photos of them!