Monday, August 08, 2022

Appreciative

It is about 20 years ago that I volunteered to teach an html class for the computer teacher for week. She was great with computers and programming but hadn’t ventured into internet coding.

I had only taken it up as an interest after I retired — an interest that had its day and has long since ceased to be an interest. 

Anyway, I went in for a week to teach one class.

This weekend, a former colleagues mentioned in an email that he had just attended a celebration of life for that computer teacher, Mary. I was shocked.

Mary was only 69 and seemingly in good health. But she was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer and died within 10 days. Wow!

The same friend also informed me of other passings. A fellow geography teacher, who retired in the same year as I, also passed away recently. And a lovely former student of mine, who became a teacher in the same school, also has pancreatic cancer.

Here I am, seemingly in good health and able to do my little bicycle rides. I look at my reflection and see the unmistakeable evidence that I have almost completed my 75th trip around the sun, but by golly, this little life of mine is still going well enough. I am both lucky and glad to be sitting here in my comfy chair and typing out these little thoughts on a morning when I wasn’t going to post here because I had nothing to say.

17 comments:

Boud said...

So true. A couple of the friends who vowed they'd be there for me when I got too old to manage predeceased me. Much younger than I. It's good to enjoy what we've got and be glad we are still ticking over!

Jenn Jilks said...

I think part of it is luck.
I like your attitude.
I don't keep in touch with any teacher friends. Probably just as well.
(ツ) from Jenn Jilks , ON, Canada!

DJan said...

Every time I turn around, it seems like somebody else dies of pancreatic cancer. I wonder if it's on the upswing for some reason. I'm trying to enjoy each day as it comes.

Barbara Rogers said...

I love meeting for lunch once a week with an older friend, and two younger friends. The elder said to me once, "Thank you Dr. Barbara, for your information, tell me when did you study medicine?" She doesn't go to doctors often, and also doesn't complain often. We probably will never know what takes her when she goes. I like discussing different issues and possible helps (not cures usually.) Most of my conditions are chronic, not something any suggestions could help. Possibly that's why she felt I should shut up about discussing her conditions.

gigi-hawaii said...

Well, I am glad that you did post today. It's always shocking to learn that friends and colleagues have died unexpectedly. Sad, too, if they are young. My son-in-law teaches coding to his young students as part of his teaching job.

MARY G said...

Yes.

Patio Postcards said...

That is quite shocking to receive the news of so many former colleagues passing. We must not take our health for granted & yes like you, give thanks for being able to be out & about.

Celia said...

Hard to see those old friends pass. I'm 80 now and I am the eldest of 9 cousins and we've lost four of the younger ones in the last few years. It's a blessing to still be here but somewhat of a curse to be around to see those people go. Hugs,

NGS said...

It's all a matter of luck, I guess, and we should all count our blessings for good health while we still have it!

Margaret said...

When people I know (especially those younger than me) die, it gives me perspective on how fortunate I am to still be here.

PipeTobacco said...

It is hard when people you know pass away. I can sympathize with how you are feeling with regard to the many unfortunate/unexpected deaths of friends at the U in the last two years.

Even though you may think some days that you have nothing to post… I do want you to know that all of your posts have been valuable and enjoyable. On days you are away, your writings are missed.

PipeTobacco

Vicki Lane said...

As I approach 80, I look around and am amazed at all the younger people dropping out. If we got a newspaper, I'd probably be checking the obits every day. Making sure I was still around.

William Kendall said...

Especially if one dies too young, it's a shock.

peppylady (Dora) said...

I'm sorry.
We all need to enjoy life.
Coffee is on and stay safe

Marie Smith said...

I think every so often about the extra time I have compared to friends of a similar age who have passed. We have much to celebrate, AC.

Joanne Noragon said...

I am glad to still be here and sorry for those who aren't, especially those gone through no fault of their own.

Kay said...

I've been thinking the exact same thing. Every time I get another notice that a classmate has passed away... it shakes me up.