Monday, April 12, 2021

Went

The weather has finally returned to more typical April fare, but we've had two rather lengthy warm spells, much more May-like than April-like. It was greatly appreciated while it lasted.

Under Sue's direction, we got ourselves out to do a bit of garden work on both days this past weekend — not for long on either morning. Basically, we raked up lingering leaves and debris. As light as the work was, I am afraid that I must report that I found it to be quite a slog. Where oh where did my energy go?

I am thinking of how about 25 years ago, it was like I woke up one morning and decided that I needed to plant a perennial garden. It was rather odd because I had never been interested in gardening and knew nothing about flowers. I did purchase a helpful book or three and took an unhelpful course at the community college. To be fair, said course may have been helpful if I had not already read up on the subject.

Back then, I removed sod and double dug, at least for the first part of the garden. By double digging I mean that after digging up the topsoil, I then removed a layer of the hard clay in the subsoil. I amended both layers with bags of good soil: triple mix, if memory serves.

The point that I am getting to in my roundabout way is that twenty-five years ago, I did all of this without much a problem.

This year, I found myself dragging around with effort. Just doing light raking for maybe an hour was a real drag. I felt very sluggish on both mornings.

My get-and-go has done got up and went. If I knew whence it went, I might go and retrieve it. Then again, perhaps not, because it it were anywhere beyond arm's reach, I probably wouldn't be able to summon up the energy to snatch my energy back.

17 comments:

Marie Smith said...

Whoever said these were the golden years...

Debby said...

I know that when I work outside, I sleep VERY soundly that night.

Patio Postcards said...

I think the overall pandemic affects are creating problems for people's energies. Let's hope that after this latest Ontario lockdown & the virus is controlled with vaccines, we'll all feel a spring in our steps. Hope & maybe it's energy springs eternal ...

I started a massive gardening project about 5 years ago & a self titled old crone neighbour reminded me that I should think ahead to a time when this would be more work than a good idea ... I scaled back!

Shammickite said...

It's called getting older.

Ed said...

I'm a ways below your age and already I find myself wistfully thinking of the energy I had in my past. Too bad we couldn't bottle it up and meter it out.

Barbara Rogers said...

A friend recently said, you know, our parents and grandparents could of warned us about this getting old stuff. But it seems both of ours were busy hiding the difficulties...they were maybe in denial, but certainly in "pretend all is well." What a surprise this has given us now that we experience quite a different thing.

Margaret said...

I used to go for a run, then mow both front and back lawns. That won't happen now. I have the energy, but my back doesn't.

Mage said...

Ditto. I'd donate energy if I had any left.

DJan said...

Getting used to getting older is an art form. :-)

MARY G said...

Yeah. The day after my vaccination I did very little but sleep. And today I decided to ramp up the walking, with the result that I am now applying heat to a new sore spot.
DJan, I am not used to it. I refuse to be used to it. Off to physio. Oh, my aching pocket book joining the aching back and knees.
AC, I used to have a big rock garden where I squatted, hauled rocks in and out and lugged wheelbarrows full of topsoil. Oh yes. The deer love it. I am now just watching them edit.

The Furry Gnome said...

Frustrating what aging does!

Joanne Noragon said...

Welcome to the geezers group.

Rita said...

You realize how things have changed over the years when a new test for your body comes up--LOL! :) Sneaks up on you.

Red said...

Check your hemoglobin.

William Kendall said...

I'm younger, but I'm feeling a bit sluggish these days. I agree with Patio's comment above about Covid fatigue weighing heavily on people.

Jenn Jilks said...

I've found the girls inspire me. I just want to sit and then I remember I'm in charge!

Kay said...

I find that because I'm at home and don't do the same amount of exercise I used to, I feel more sluggish and unenergetic. I can't wait for normality to return.