Sunday, April 18, 2021

To Contrast or not to Contrast

Yesterday, one blog friend noticed that my truck in the rock photo was lacking contrast. Indeed, she was correct. Somehow, I posted a somewhat earlier iteration than my final version.  I have reposted it below and the intended one below that, so you can see the difference. The darks are a bit darker and some of the lighter grays on the truck have been boosted just a tad. Good eye, Mage.



Generally speaking, it is best that b&w photos have a good tonal range although there are exceptions. Some of the minimalist winter photos that I posted a while back were not at all contrasty. It is also true to some degree in this woodland photo taken from the same year as the above pictures. There is not too much deep black in the scene.


Meanwhile, permit me to wrench you back to the present with the colour photo that I made of Lacey, just yesterday. I was sitting in my living room chair and she in hers, and quite frankly, I just snapped if you will permit a little dad/grandad humour.


She does not look best pleased, does she?


11 comments:

Barbara Rogers said...

Thanks for telling us about how you changed the second photo...a big improvement I think. Lacey just has those brows over her eyes, and always seems to be a bit sour...but she is beautiful!

Marcia said...

Does lacey ever looked pleased? She seems to have a perpetual scowl.

Vicki Lane said...

Cats do disapproval so well.

DJan said...

I see the difference in the two B&W with them together like that. And Lacey us a beauty, scowling or not. :-)

Margaret said...

I'm glad you put up both photos because I can see the difference when you do that. Lacey is beautiful, but as John says about my cat, "Why does she always look angry?" Cats are just like that.

Ed said...

If I had seen both on two different days, I would have sworn they were the same but right together, there is a significant difference.

Kay said...

Ummmm.... Lacey does look rather disgruntled, I must say. Do you have a happy photo of her? Can you see emotions on cat faces?

Marie Smith said...

That last photo...perfect.

Joanne Noragon said...

It is no easy thing to take a picture of a happy cat.

Rita said...

Love Lacey! :)

William Kendall said...

Lacey wants treats and belly rubs.