Friday, April 23, 2021

Glory be to Hanna Hats

Once upon a time, I commuted to school with two family studies teachers who informed me that there is a difference between hats and caps. In deference, I try to use the right word, but not when alliteration beckons to my muse (see title).


When I posted this ↑ of me in my cap, fellow blogger, Pipe Tobacco, inquired about it.

I bought the cap at the Irish and Scottish shop in Ottawa. It is a fairly weighty cap, best worn in spring and fall but not in hotter summer or in the deepest cold of winter. While it would work for some of the winter, particularly in the milder country from which it hails, I don't wear much in that season because clashes greatly my red coat. Besides, I have caps which suit winter well, including one with ear flaps for the coldest days — actually two, but I don't like the style (or lack) of one of them.

Even in spring and fall, it clashes with my other spring/fall jacket which is a red-black check. As much as I can, though in these seasons, I wear the more neutral khaki jacket, above, just so I can wear this hat, because I do like it.

Indeed, it is a Hanna Hat from good ole Donegal in good ole Ireland. I will leave up to Mr Pipe to pursue inquires ... or not.

Yes, AC has a big head. Too bad about the small brain.

I think Pipe also asked about lighter-weight, summer hats caps. They aren't as ubiquitous in my experience, and I searched fruitlessly for years. However, I finally found this one  ↓ at the same store and from the same company. 

This ↓ photo was unplanned, but the shirt is a good match. I also have a mask that is also a pretty close match. I should get a photo of the three items together. Perhaps on another day, for I am still in my jammies.


I also purchased another tartan-style cap on the same day as the red one, above. While it isn't quite as snazzy, I like it too.


Speaking of jammies, this was a phone selfie taken just a few moments ago. All that I do, I do for you. Eh?

11 comments:

Marie Smith said...

These are all interesting hats which suit you well, AC.

William Kendall said...

I've got a big head too. It makes hat wearing a bit of a challenge.

Margaret said...

You look great in those caps/hats! I love the tartan ones. Now we need a photo of the outfit with the matching mask. :)

MARY G said...

Smile! You're on candid camera. I love the plaid. JG wears ball caps in the summer and tuques in the winter. Spring and fall, he seems to be in a hard hat a lot. His is bright red and one year he had a hummingbird checking it out in detail. Which reminds me it is time to put the feeders up for early arrivals - mostly males staking out territory. Sugar to water ratio that works for me is 1:4.

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Hats off, or rather on, to you, AC for your very stylish and colorful collection of caps. The selfie with the red plaid hat and shirt, though unplanned, worked well together.

PipeTobacco said...

Hah! We wear the same hat/cap size! All three of the caps ARE great! You know already that I like the patchwork one.... but the blue & green plaid one is exceptional too!

Mine are all of a sadly, more muted tweedy and/or herringbone pattern. I need some plaid varieties and at least ONE patchwork one.

I have been looking at some linen ones for Summer. These are what I have been mostly finding....

https://i.etsystatic.com/23491508/r/il/26388b/2984722202/il_794xN.2984722202_p0xc.jpg

I like these too, just because of their lightness in the heat.

Thank you for the cap post!!!!!

PipeTobacco

Shammickite said...

Men always look good in hats. Or caps. Especially when the cap covers up the receding hairline. Even ball caps are OK. But not worn backwards.
The red cap and shirt go well together.... I wonder if you were wearing the red socks too?

Rita said...

You look good in all of them no matter what you call them--LOL! ;)

Kay said...

I agree that you look great in your caps. You really got a great shirt to match your cap. What fun that you have so many caps. It reminds me of a book I used to read to the kids titled "Caps for Sale."

Anonymous said...

Nice caps

Anonymous said...

Loved your hat , it suits you and its was fun to read about your journey to discover difference between hats and caps. I also got embroidered flexfit hats for my husband with quote blessed with best wife. But i don't know why he don't wear it much in public.