Thursday, April 29, 2021

We Fight On

I know, I know. COVID, ugh. But it was time for me to have a look at the present situation and trends in Ontario. Therefore, I jot it down for you but will understand if readers choose to avert their eyes. 

The COVID situation in Ontario remains alarming, but there may be hope. 

As for the alarming part, according to this article (a short read), "875 people with COVID-19-related illnesses [are] being treated in Ontario's ICUs, with 589 of those requiring a ventilator." Those are current  ICU numbers only. Who knows how many genuinely active cases there are, for tracking must be problematic. However, there may be up to 47 000 cases still ongoing in the province in some way. Looking at it that way, the percentage of those needing acute care is less than 2% of total unresolved  cases, so that at least is somewhat encouraging.

A concomitant of these ICU numbers is overcrowding so that some patients have to be moved to other hospitals, and they can be far away. For example: some Toronto patients have been airlifted to Ottawa, an hour's distance by plane and 4 hours by car. This is a hard thing: "As we're loading ambulances to leave, we're finding family members lined up on the sidewalk, shouting goodbyes and taking photos — trying to catch a glimpse of their mom or their dad."

In the same article, there is a 1 minute video of a patient being moved into an ambulance. I find it both sobering and emotional.

On a somewhat positive side, the lockdown plus innoculations seem to be having an effect. Just a week or so ago, the provincial new case numbers had skyrocketed to almost 5000/day. Lately, they have fallen to under 4000 with only 3480 yesterday. While that number is hardly an only, trends are relative to what has preceded them.

The red trend line at the very right show that new cases are declining.

There is more positive news. More than 4.5 million or 30+% of us have had the first jab, and it is projected that 80% of age 16+ will have their first dose by June 14. It is important to stay the course for the next two months..

It's not so good everywhere, India is in dire straits, gaining 1 million more cases every three days. It wasn't so long ago that some nitwit on social media was saying how wonderful that country was doing with hundreds of millions not wearing masks. Alas, it was too early for that COVID-denying anti-masker to crow with a juvenile post. 

As this sad scene transpires, I understand that India continues to allow super-spreader, religious events. I will bite my tongue and not offer further comment on that point.

If all of this isn't sobering enough, I leave you with a photo of the cremation pyres burning. Apparently, they can hardly keep up.






15 comments:

Patio Postcards said...

COVID continues to smack us upside the head. I am amazed & somewhat annoyed that people don't get (worldwide) that gatherings, travel & normal aren't things we can not do right now.

William Kendall said...

Covid is exhausting.

Barbara Rogers said...

Sad to think of all the Indians who are dying. I hope that your current lockdown cuts back the numbers of Canadians who get sick. We are looking at possible return to normal as of June 1...if normal is something we want to return to.

Marie Smith said...

We are all exhausted by this pandemic. We must help the rest of the world get vaccinated too. We are not safe until all are safe.

Marcia said...

There is hope for a return to normality. Your lockdown there in Ontario will do what it's supposed to do.

Ed said...

Our state ended the mask mandate a month ago but I still wear mine indoors, often the only one now. Our numbers are still trending down though showing signs of herd immunity, likely due to our peaks last year.

MARY G said...

I am so afraid that Pakistan is suppressing similar disasters. Scared spitless for the YD.

gigi-hawaii said...

The case number in Hawaii is rising a little, but not much. Take care!

Margaret said...

Your trends are looking good! I wish ours were.Some of our biggest counties are dropping back to Phase 2 (from 3), including mine and King County, home of Seattle. I wish I knew where the cases were coming from. Is it restaurants? Churches? Indoor gatherings? Schools? I don't know what to think about the rising numbers. Here we're dealing with vaccine refusers too so I will continue to wear my mask and avoid indoor gatherings. It seems like we're stuck with Covid19 long term.

Mage said...

We are doing better here. 1% is our percentage. We can now go outside, no crowds, without masks.

DJan said...

Some of my state is returning to an earlier lockdown number, as Margaret said. My county is still in Phase 3, but it wouldn't take much for us to go back to an earlier stage. I am heartbroken for India.

Jenn Jilks said...

It's been colossal changes for all of us. It is shocking. I am really stressed.

Rita said...

And I was at the dentist today and a patient was there with no mask. They didn't say anything to him, but you are supposed to be wearing masks whether you are vaccinated or not. Maybe I am glad I hardly ever leave the apartment (and haven't since 2004--LOL!). This new variant going around is hitting the younger people hard, too. India is terrifying!

Mara said...

Glad to see there is a line going down again. I am not sure when I might be able to get my first jab, but I would rather it today than tomorrow! Anything to help make this world just a bit safer again.

The situation in India is shocking, but I think there are more countries in the world that might suffer similarly.

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Good to see the numbers on the down side in your area, AC, and yes the funeral pyres and news from India and other countries is disheartening and so sad. This virus is unrelenting and more people should take care. It is hard to remain vigilant even after full vaccination, but sadly it is now a way of life.