Thursday, April 01, 2021

Little Things

I felt a tap on my toe. I raised my head, expecting me to see Sue and wondering what the problem might be. Unless there is a problem, Sue wouldn't bother me during my very brief afternoon siesta. 

Typically, I recline in my chair for possibly a half hour, probably only nodding off for about 10 minutes and often less if at all. I am pretty sure that I had been off in the land of nod for only a few minutes when I felt the tap.

Oh my goodness! It wasn't Sue but a masked Danica standing at the foot of my recliner. I soon learned that she had biked over after school just to pay the ancient ones a little visit.

She removed her mask once we were sitting appropriately distanced in the living room. There we chatted amiably for about a half hour.

What a treat!

I  often think that it is the little things that enhance a life: probably more than the, supposed, big things. I think I wrote of this recently in another post.

That was on Monday afternoon. Then, yesterday morning, our doctor to took the time to call us to make sure that we knew we were eligible to apply for the vaccine.

As you already know, we were aware, but we appreciated that little gesture of care and concern.

Little things.

18 comments:

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Yes, it truly is the little things these days that can easily thrill (or amuse) so many of us. It was very nice that granddaughter Danica biked over to pay a visit and that your doctor called to advice you of vaccine eligibility. I'm sure both events really "made your day." Thanks for the compliment about my research efforts for my blog posts, much appreciated.

Patio Postcards said...

What a lovely gesture from Danica & a WOW from your Doctor's office. Just waiting to hear if it's all Ontario or just Toronto & Peel going back to Grey Restrictive Zones for 28 days. Our region had just moved into Orange. The grumbling will be unbearable ... I'll say no more for now.

Ed said...

I'm like you and can take a short nap that often lasts for ten minutes or less. What worries me though is on a rare occasion, something can pull me under much deeper and that could stretch out to 60 or 90 minutes and then when I finally do awake, I feel like a fuzzy headed sloth for another 30 minutes until I'm back to myself.

gigi-hawaii said...

That was sweet of Danica to pay you a visit. I like that.

Marcia said...

I whole heartedly agree with that statement "it is the little things". We experience them most everyday with family here.

Marie Smith said...

Yay for loving granddaughters and thorough doctors.

DJan said...

Glad to know it won't be long now before you get the jab! :-)

Mage said...

Yes, and every little thing from a grandchild is a special thing.

MARY G said...

It is payback time for all the time and love you have lavished on those kids. And that time and love has played a part in what great kids they are.

MARY G said...

It is payback time for all the time and love you have lavished on those kids. And that time and love has played a part in what great kids they are.

PipeTobacco said...

Wonderful and touching (pun intended) story! :)

PipeTobacco

Red said...

We also have to recognize the little gestures. Too often we're "asleep" and miss them.

William Kendall said...

Good of her to do.

Joanne Noragon said...

I think I prize visits with grandchildren most of all. They all have reached voting age except the sixteen year old.

Debby said...

So sweet about Danica.

Margaret said...

That's a lovely surprise. I think we've become much more thankful for those small things during the pandemic. Your doctor was very thoughtful to call.

Rita said...

Absolutely! The little things are really the big things in life. :)

Jenn Jilks said...

What a treat. That is so fun seeing the kid!