Wednesday, April 28, 2021

5:30

I have been awake for two hours already. I am not sure why although I was in some mild discomfort. Moved over to my chair and stuck a podcast in my ears — to no avail.

Eventually, I went downstairs, toasted some cheese bread and gave Lacey her morning tuna, about 4 hours ahead of the usual time.

Now what? I dunno.

It is garbage day, and I will get that ready to put out by about 9, but I'm not going to rustle about now because Beloved is still in repose and will be for quite some time.

Happily, I suppose, this early rising has given me something to say on a day when I thought I had finally run out of blather.

I am also going to post (below) my new version of the pink moon with the reflections on the river.

I had thought to do it anyway and likely would have, and then a reader noticed that the reflection seemed to be misplaced vis-a-vis the moon in the original version which I posted yesterday. That rendition was the way that it really was because of the off kilter angle from which I had to shoot. I was on the riverbank, but the moon rose way off to my right over the opposite bank, and I wasn't going to get into the water to find a better angle, 

By the way, this is approximately the spot where I ruined my camera last September, so here I was $2000 later back at the same spot. So yeah. I stayed out of the water. But I was right on the edge I tell ya.

So what do you do? Well, I posted as I saw the scene because one tries to reflect reality (did I just pun?). On the other hand, if I could have been in a different position of perhaps a few hundred yards, I would have seen the reflection aligning less jarringly with the moon and something more like this new adjusted version.

With a little more work in post, I managed to move the reflection.


I am still not sure if I got it, the reflection, placed exactly right (I have trouble visualizing these things aright), but it is better than it was.

A lot went into the photo. First came the waiting and then the two exposures. Then came the original blending in post in which I enlarged the moon slightly because that's was how it felt to me. Finally, I have now aligned the reflection, at least better than it was.

They say that you don't take a photo but make a photo. This one required more making than usual. I guess I learned something in the process although I am not sure what. Maybe it was more of a practising of skills rather than learning.

And now it is almost 6. The sky is brightening although my brain is not.

It is time to edit and polish the above although I seem to always miss something.


14 comments:

Marie Smith said...

There is someone in this house who is up at 3:20 every morning and it’s not me. Now, as he gets older, he needs a nap after breakfast. May as well go with the flow is our attitude.

Barbara Rogers said...

Oh I'm a happy camper now. Thanks for working on that...since I like my moon directly above it's reflections. And thanks so much for being out there woking on staying out of the river too! And a third thanks, because my phone has its own ideas about exposures, so all my photos of the moon are mainly of the tree. Yay!

Vicki Lane said...

All your moon shots are beautiful! I like best the one peeping through the tree.

Marcia said...

Enjoy your nap later today. It will make up for the sleep you lost. Your photo turned out well.

Ed said...

I wish I could still set my trash out at 9 am. I have been awakened from my slumber at 4 am realizing I hadn't set my trash out the night before as the truck accelerates on down the street.

Margaret said...

Beloved is a much better sleeper than you--what is her secret? I love the photo; it's otherworldly. I will post mine today so you can get a good laugh. :)

Karen said...

Ugh, I had wild turkey's fighting right outside my bedroom window just as the sky was turning light. I was thankful to roll over and go back to sleep until 10AM though. whoot whoot!

Joanne Noragon said...

I think that's a lot of work, well done. I hope no one is knowledgeable in water currents and could take you one.

Rita said...

I am more likely to be going to bed around when you woke up when my hours get off--LOL!

William Kendall said...

Beautiful!

Mara said...

Compared to the one you posted yesterday, this looked better I think. More 'anatomically' correct so to speak.

DJan said...

I enjoyed both these pictures and the previous ones. Sorry to hear you are having such trouble sleeping. I am glad I slumber easily almost every night.

MARY G said...

Your insomnia is our gain. But, sending sympathy anyway. I ended up in a reclining chair at around 4:30 the other morning - wide eyed and frustrated. So I can just imagine how you feel when you do it often. I admire your initiative to edit photos at such times. And to end up with such a fine photo.

Mage said...

Perfection.