Tuesday, April 27, 2021

Pink Moon over the Treetops

I had read that the full moon was to rise last night — the so-called Pink Moon. Alexa told me it would occur around 11:30pm. While that is rather late to stumble around in the dark, I was willing to make the effort. However, I was saved when Alexa later, to the question framed differently, told me that the moon would rise at 7:40. 

It was discrepancy that made sense when I thought about it. The moon would rise at 7:40 but technically wouldn't be full until 11:30. It's much like the equinox. We call the whole day when the sun is  directly above the equator, The Equinox, but if you ask Alexa (or Siri or Cortana or whomever and whatever), she will give you the precise moment that the sun reaches fullness.

I had picked out a spot by the river where Danica and I had spotted the moon back at Christmas. It had then been directly across the river from us. However, the earth tilts differently in April, so the moon rose farther downriver. I was barely able to make photos from my chosen vantage point, but I managed.

From my observation point, the moon didn't rise at 7:40 because it had to climb over the trees.  I didn't begin to see it until after 8.

While, of course, I wanted the moon to be clear of the trees across the river, I was also happy to take photos of the rising.

All along, I had wanted the treetops in the photo(s) and not just the moon because I like context in my photos, if possible. However, by the time that Pinky cleared the trees, it was so bright that s/he came out as an overexposed, white circle. I began to take two exposures, a lighter one for the scene and a darker one for the the moon. I then blended them in post.

I had got the shot that I had come for of the full moon over the trees, particularly the photo below. While it is not the most spectacular lunar photo ever, I did the best I could at that location that night with the equipment at my disposal.

The treetops are subtle, but they're there.

In the process, I did take a different photo to get the context of the location and particularly the reflection on the river. Once again, it's a two-photo merge.


By zooming out so much to incorporate the whole scene, Pinky looked pretty small: smaller in camera than what I felt that I was seeing with my eyes. I therefore decided,to embiggen her (above), just a tad, in that one photo.

So often, the full moon occurs on a cloudy night when it is obscured or too early in the day when it is still too bright, so I lucked out to some degree. The location didn't give me the very best angle, but the results were fair, enough, and I am not disappointed.

22 comments:

PipeTobacco said...

Beautiful photos of the moon!

But what really captured my attention was your use of the word “embiggen”. I was imagining it was perhaps a “photo-graphy” term derived from German..... and because I like new words, I looked it up. Lo and behold, I found it is an official word in English now.... but that it’s origins are from..... “The Simpsons” cartoon!!!! Apparently it was first used there in 1996, and found its way officially into our lexicon from that episode.... and it is meant to be a humorous take on the word enlarge.

How fun! I will now remember and try to pepper my speech with this new (to me) word!!!

PipeTobacco

Barbara Rogers said...

You had much better luck than I did...I was too lazy to leave the house. Last photo seems to have the reflection a bit askew...when it would be totally below (as a reflection of it) the moon itself to any viewer. Otherwise, that's my favorite.

Anvilcloud said...

@Barbara: that's a result of the wonky angle that I was shooting from. I am thinking of doing more photoshopping to align them.

William Kendall said...

Beautiful!

Marcia said...

I was totally oblivious to this full moon though I noticed at 10 pm bedtime the yard was fairly well lit. Nice job.

Margaret said...

Those are incredible photos. I had to take mine through the neighbors' trees and lights, so unimpressive. I wasn't willing to go out in the dark.

Ed said...

When I was young, it seemed like the only named moon was the harvest moon and the blue moon. These days, it seems like every moon now has a specialized name. It is like the moon has hired a PR firm to get some more notice. It seems to be working. Beautiful photos as always.

Patio Postcards said...

Absolutely stunning photos.

gigi-hawaii said...

Very nice shots. But, the moon looks yellow, not pink.

Red said...

It takes a lot of patience to photograph the moon. I get antsy and go back in the house.

Karen said...

I love your shot of the moon in all her rosie glow peeking through the trees.

The Furry Gnome said...

Look like great moon shots to me!

Doris Potter said...

Great shots! I love the one of the moon behind the branches especially!

Goldendaze-Ginnie said...

I really like the one where you have the water and the moon and, as to your last post, (and because I often prefer B&W over color) I have to say that I have to agree with your split toning of the B&W ...you did a great job with it and really got a wonderful feel to the photo.

Joanne Noragon said...

These are lovely. It is so overcast the last several days that there has been no pink moon visible.

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Nice moon shots and certainly worth the effort.

Marie Smith said...

Great photos. I love that second one!

Rita said...

I love seeing a full moon and these are great shots. I actually love the one where it is halfway through the trees. :)

Kay said...

Thank you so much for taking these photos and posting it. Our pink moon was at 1:11 AM and I’m afraid we didn’t get up. Art thought it would be too cloudy anyway. That’s sour grapes for you. However, at around 10 PM last night a bright light shining from the sides of our blinds woke me up. It was the moon and there weren’t any clouds, but I was too groggy and went back to sleep. Art is grateful to you for taking these photos.

DJan said...

Gorgeous!

Mara said...

That second photo is my absolute favourite. It reminds me of an old Dutch children's song, although that one is sung only at the end of November/beginning of December.

MARY G said...

I am also a fan of the through the trees shot. You did, ahem, a stellar job. We have so many trees eastward that we don't see the moon, except bits through the branches, until well on toward bedtime. I have never had the energy to get in the car and drive down to the neighbour's east facing field.
Some day.
In the meantime, your photos are a fine substitute.