Tuesday, April 13, 2021

Synchronous Days

Eighteen years ago from yesterday, my mother departed these shores.

Eighteen years later, her son received his COVID vaccine in a bid to help extend his life on these shores.

The synchronicity of these events will likely mean that I will remember both dates forever, or at least for as long as I retain my mental faculties.

Likewise, Sue will receive her jab next week on another auspicious day — the fourteenth anniversary of Danica's first breath.

How about that for double synchronicity?

My time slot was set for 6:21pm with the instruction that I was to arrive 10-15 minutes early but only 10-15 minutes early.

The clinic was very efficiently run. After first check-in outside (photo below), I was required to clear two additional desks where similar questions were asked to verify me and my appointment.

I was soon seated to await the jab. It didn't take long. A nurse wheeled her cart over to me, asked me some some similar questions and explained a little more about the procedure.

She had settled on my right side but moved over when, in response to her question, I requested that the jab go into the left arm. It turned out that I was actually jabbed a minute or two before the scheduled time. Such efficiency. 

She looked at the clock, calculated fifteen minutes, wrote my departure time on a piece of paper, and left it with me. I was instructed to leave the paper on the chair when I left so they would know to wipe it down.

There was one more stop on the way out where I was given a my little certificate, really more of a data sheet, indicating my Pfizer dose with the lot number etc. We also confirmed my next appointment in four months time.

Within a half hour of entry, I was on my way back to Sue who was waiting in the car.

To say the least, it was a very efficiently organized clinic. Also to say the least, I am dread chuffed to have this done.

In addition to receiving my shot on the anniversary of my mother's death, I was jabbed on the very day that Canada's caseload rate exceeded that of the USA for the first time. To me this is both synchronous and serendipitous. 

Sadly, it was also the day that Ontario's schools were shut down until further notice. Poor Danica will have to pass her second consecutive birthday without friends to help her celebrate.


21 comments:

Barbara Rogers said...

Congrats! Definitely a couple of events of high definition to many others in your life. I hope you meant you'll return in 4 weeks, rather than months...an easy typo in the early mornings. Yes, having schools closed down again is certainly sad for celebrations...maybe a drive by party can happen at least...which my granddaughters have enjoyed.

Debby said...

I have been so focused on things here, I didn't realize how hard hit Canada was. It's heartbreaking isn't it? Glad that you have gotten that shot.

Patio Postcards said...

Very good news about your vaccine jab. I'm sharing a link from the G&M about a Canadian vaccine survey - you need to register, should want to participate, within 2 weeks of receiving your first jab.
https://canvas-covid.ca/?fbclid=IwAR1L4MN-PnyaxGsgYkzaNPDOb1tcNPSbFga9OhdLSHSyqyZ75df0ulhriGg

I think dates that tie to meaning, are meant for a reason, although I'm never sure what those reasons are.

I felt very let down & embarrassed with shame that Jake Trapper on CNN called out Canada. We need to do better.

PipeTobacco said...

I am very happy you were able to get your vaccine! I also answered your question to me today.

PipeTobacco

Blondi Blathers said...

Your mom -- what a cutie!
-Kate

Ed said...

Congrats on the shot. I admit I was a bit teary eyed when I got my first dose. Yesterday, I got the second Pfizer dose. I wasn't teary eyed this time mostly because I was resigned to a day or two of my arm hurting and feeling generally worn out as I did with the first dose. But 24 hours later, my arm is just a touch sore, no where like the first dose, and I feel pretty much normal. My vaccine card is now tucked away in my passport should I need it in my future.

Margaret said...

So glad you got your shot! 4 months in between? I think my 2nd one was about a month later. I hope that increasing vaccinations help Canada and the U.S. I'm beginning to get nervous again about how the numbers are trending. My county (Pierce) got dropped down to Phase 2. :( We bad.

Marie Smith said...

It’s good to hear the process is so organized for vaccination.

Mara said...

Congratulations on getting jabbed. In our household there are now two who have had their first vaccine, both will most likely get their second before I am even called up for my first one. They only have to wait three weeks, whereas I will probably have to wait for 12 weeks between number one and number two.

gigi-hawaii said...

Too bad about Danica, but I am so glad you got your first dose. So relieved.

Jenn Jilks said...

I am so happy for you!
We're getting done on Saturday.
Tapper is an terrible story. They rely on reading other news outlets, I think, to get information. It ticks me off.

The Furry Gnome said...

Forget synchronicity, I'll be glad just to get my shot!

Mage said...

Don't you have another shot inn two weeks? Glad you have this started.

Red said...

You relate many events with a few dates. I got my second shot a half hour ago. It is guaranteed for 6 months so we could be back here very soon.

Goldendaze-Ginnie said...

What a beautiful mother you had. I'm glad you got your Pfizer shot today but was surprised that you have to wait 4 months. I had Pfizer too and the 2nd shot just 2 weeks later ... but, like you, the set up was extremely efficient and easy.

Joanne Noragon said...

Good for you. We will come through this, and the grands will have wonderful stories to tell their children.

William Kendall said...

Timing can be quite strange.

Rita said...

Sounds like perfect timing for the both of you.
It will be so good to be vaccinated especially since the infections are on the rise again. It will feel so good to know you are safer! :)

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Glad to read that you were finally able to get a vaccine shot. It is odd how coincidences can play on our minds especially with dates of family events. Sorry to read that Canada has surpassed the US that is not good news and schools closing again is very unfortunate as well.

DJan said...

I didn't realize that Canada is now spreading out the shots so much. I'm glad I got my second Pfizer shot three weeks later. This virus just doesn't want to give up, it seems. Glad you're mostly vaccinated.

Kay said...

I'm so glad you and Sue have gotten and will get your shots. I understand you'll be 85% protected or something like that. It's a good feeling.