Saturday, April 24, 2021

Languishing

Does this interminable pandemic have you languishing? Apparently, it is a recognizable condition. The esteemed NYT even wrote about it here, and I offer a few snippets from the article.

Languishing is a sense of stagnation and emptiness. It feels as if you’re muddling through your days, looking at your life through a foggy windshield.

As scientists and physicians work to treat and cure the physical symptoms of long-haul Covid, many people are struggling with the emotional long-haul of the pandemic.

It’s the void between depression and flourishing — the absence of well-being. ... You’re not functioning at full capacity. Languishing dulls your motivation, disrupts your ability to focus, and triples the odds that you’ll cut back on work.

I think the simple antidote (oops, I had anecdote there), both partial and temporary, is to do something. On Thursday, after picking up cat food, we went for a drive. The bitter cold and wind doesn't appeal to us for walking, but the little drive was a welcome diversion.

Then yesterday, we did something that has not been unusual for us. We picked up breakfast from MickeyDees and took it to the park. I know we have done this a lot over the months, but we aren't there every day by any means or even every week come to that. So, that kind of little outing continues to provide a break and help reduce our languishing.

Once again it was cold and windy, but at least it was sunny. On this cold day, the sun warmed the car to the extent that we were obliged to crack open the windows.

Being in a languishing state of mind, we both forgot to take the usual selfie, which probably cheers the readers greatly. I mean, you must be tiring of those photos.

I was taken with this tree, however. To get past signage, I got as close as I could and took two photos in vertical mode and merged them in post. Due to the perspective, the background is wonky, but it is an impressive tree. I may return at some point with my wide angle lens to try another photo. The sidelight at mid morning seems like a good time for light and shadow variation.


I love it when the trees are just feathering out. That's my word, but you're welcome to use it. In the feather stage you can still sone the bones of the tree. You can use that word too if you like. Looking the other way, toward the park, there were more trees in this stage. 



It was a nice, little break. Hopefully, we'll get out more as the weather improves and before the trees get too leafy. Happily, we did have those early, freakishly warms spells to also break our languishing.

14 comments:

MARY G said...

I like the 'feathering' and the photos thereof. Ours are a bit behind up here but coming along. Buddy, perhaps.

Patio Postcards said...

Languishing was discussed at length in our "town hall" meeting with our Chief Medical Officer. It is a good description of this feeling. I also use pandemic lethargy. Your old man willow tree photos capture the great on in all his spring glory.

PipeTobacco said...

“Feathering Out” is a wonderful descriptor!!!! I WILL remember it..... as an “animal focused” biologist, I tend to enjoy using animal related metaphors around my botanically oriented friends when discussing plants! :)

I do miss your selfie though.... they are pleasant and nice.

PipeTobacco

Barbara Rogers said...

Yes, you are welcome to share "selfies" any day of the week. I missed your post entirely yesterday...and my world didn't fall apart as one might expect. It was just a bit empty. However, I can blame our old friend Blogger. Love the feathering photos, and I'm not around willows but maples here, so they tend to get a blob on the ends of branches which keeps growing. Have a good day!

Vicki Lane said...

A wonderful tree, indeed. I wonder what kind is it? There is a similar one on the edge of a lake in Asheville. And feathering out is the perfect term. Beutiful pictures!

DJan said...

I read that languishing article, too. I am not sure I agree with the use of the word. But I do love feathering trees. :-)

Karen said...

We try to get out and about at least once a week too. Living so close to Algonquin Park, we have many opportunities to see life emerging that we might not find in our back yard.
I love that hazy quality to the trees. When we travel toward home from Pembroke, we come over quite a high hill that allows us to have a brief view of a wide expanse of hill and dale. All seasons of the year have their own spectacular dress on the view, but I especially love the spring. There is a pale green haze to the hills over yonder.
I think we need one last hike into the park before the bugs take possession.

Margaret said...

Languishing is an apt expression and getting out or making plans/setting goals for the day (even small ones) are indeed the antidotes. It sounds like you have this figured out! We've learned to appreciate those small moments more. I tried to take a photo of my dogwood with its sparse leaves; your photos are a million times better!

Mara said...

As you say: doing something is good. I walk and take photographs. My parents used to go for a drive every Sunday last year to break up the unending days during the first lockdown. After that they had a bit more freedom again and it stopped, but they have now started to do it sometimes again. Mind you, even when life returns to normal, it is still a nice break of the ordinary.

Kay said...

I love your spring tree feathering, John. I have to admit I'm rather languishing too. Writing the blog keeps my brain active. I like your idea of going out for a walk. Hmmm... I shall have to recommend it to some friends.

William Kendall said...

Quite a tree. I've had my fill of Covid.

The Furry Gnome said...

I read the same article, and felt the same answer was appropriate! Get off your duff abd DO something!

Joanne Noragon said...

Languishing. Why, I haven't used that word in about......a month.

Red said...

Good on you for getting out and doing something different. More people should do the same.