Wednesday, April 07, 2021

Spring, Easter and Selfie

This week I have been noticing that the morning sun was reaching the corner of my monitor. It has doing so for a few days, but yesterday I picked up the iphone and took a photo. In the photo, the light is just reaching the top right corner. Of course, this will change quickly now as at our latitude, we are getting about 3 minutes more sunlight per day.


You likely recall me saying that to me, this lighting of the monitor is the beginning of spring. Likewise, its leaving marks the end of autumn.

Just a little while later, when I hopped onto FB, a memory awaited me.


I had done the same thing on the same date, last year. The patch of light was a bit bigger last year, probably because the monitor was in a slightly different orientation because the sun would almost have be in the same spot, although it can vary by a day or so.

Of course, I hadn't remembered having taken that photo in 2020, for I forget about most things that I post almost immediately after posting. Someone may LIKE a FB post, and I will have to go back to recall what it was.

The weather has been grand for three days: sunny with the gale force winds abating to just plain winds. This was quite wonderful on Easter Sunday, for we were able to have a short visit with Sha and the kids on the back deck.

Sue had moved closer to JJ for the photo but moved back right after

We don't use our backyard much because we back onto a busy road. There is a fair bit of space between us and the road, but it is still noisy. More importantly however, the yard bakes in the afternoon summer sun. In point of fact, we were almost too hot on that April weekend.

Despite the heat, Lacey still wanted out.


We keep the poor thing inside, away from ticks and fleas and possible gaps in the fence. We wouldn't want to take the chance of a poor, declawed puss being out on her own.

Finally for now, I came across some information about using the portrait mode on an iphone. I had thought that this application would require an iphone12, but it works well on my 10.


This ↑ was a selfie in portrait mode, and that is what came directly from the phone without further editing. I did do one thing: cropped it to 8x10 format, which is a good ratio for portraits.

It is amazing what the phone can do. There's quite a lot of computing power in a phone, and Apple has done a good job in exploiting the capabilities.

If you need help with this, I am sure that you can find a quick tutorial if you are using a later edition of the iphone.

18 comments:

Barbara Rogers said...

First, the selfie is really dramatic in b&w, but has dropped all foreground and background away, which is simply gorgeous. I remember one of my friend's first selfies on her phone, where her nose was much bigger than real life. Your's looks pretty accurate, what do you think? Second...wasn't that a great Easter weekend, for most of us, with dry sunny days of above average temps!

DJan said...

I have an iPhone 7 and really need to get a newer one. I love your selfie. :-)

Debby said...

Great selfie. My selfies? Not so great.

Marcia said...

Do you recognize yourself in photos? I always have to take a second look thinking "is that me?" Yes the Part is on the move and consequently the sun is staying up later and shining into spots it hadn't all through the winter. Being our first spring in this house we are learning the path of sunshine.

Off to Buffalo tomorrow and unlikely to be reading any blogs while I'm gone. Catch up on my return.

Ed said...

We have a non-conforming bedroom in our basement, i.e. there is no means of exiting other than the door so no windows, and I have remodeled it into my office. I really like it because I have no glare/sun problems to deal with but it isn't conducive to staring outside and daydreaming either. Maybe that's an advantage too when it comes to an office.

There used to be a point in the year, closer to the start and end of summer, when the sun would shine through a gap in our wooded backyard and directly into my eyes while sitting in my easy chair. I always had to sit somewhere else for those 15 minutes of the evening. But the wife rearranged our furniture recently and my back is now to that window so I'll have to relearn any sun/time of year cues with my morning sun view out the deck doors.

Jenn Jilks said...

I am quite envious of my kids' iPhones! JL, my SIL, being a computer engineer, always has the latest. The images are amazing.
That is a lovely portrait!

PipeTobacco said...

The allowing of your beard and mustache to grow fuller is looking nice. It shows well in your portrait.

I end up never getting light splaying across my monitor..... just because that no matter how my wife and I arrange furniture, I always have my office desk facing into a window so I can look outward. 🙂 In our earlier home, my office was in a small windowless cubbyhole in the basement, and when we bought our current home, I vowed I would ALWAYS orient my office so that I could look out. 🙂

PipeTobacco

Goldendaze-Ginnie said...

You are way above me when it comes to understanding and using cell phones. I just purchased a cute little Lively-Flip phone (Bright red). I had no idea that it came with a camera so that's fun. and the main reason I got it is that (for a low monthly rate) I have a medic alert button. (once I was in the car and a male voice came through very clearly..."Virginia, are you in distress?" I was so embarrassed ... evidently I hit the red alert button by mistake ... but it's nice knowing that it works and the "voice" was very understanding and nice !)

Margaret said...

I'm learning to love the portrait mode since I didn't have it on my 7 but do on my 12. What a gift to have warm weather in April!

Patio Postcards said...

I agree keeping kitties indoors is the safest place for them. Neither of my girls have any interest in going out, well except when the chipmunks come knocking for peanuts - then it's let me at them ....

Very dramatic selfie.

Blondi Blathers said...

I think I have finally found a spot in my office where the changing position of the sunlight through the window will not land on my laptop so much and so hot that I'd worry about damage to the machine. I still have to push it back toward the wall for a few hours during the day, but ... the moving light is a real presence here too! -Kate

Marie Smith said...

Poor puss. Glad she is safe inside.

The Furry Gnome said...

You look very serious!

Red said...

Funny how we have a mark for the sun. Sometimes we watch for a while to see the sun crawl up the fence!

William Kendall said...

Lacey is a sweetheart.

Rita said...

My cats have not gone outside, either. Safer, in general. :)
Looks like a fun get together! Striking selfie.

Mara said...

Great selfie, although you do look very strict.

I think you may have gotten all of our sunny weather as we are having winter weather at the moment: snow, hail and gale force winds. Not nice at all.

Kay said...

Your selfie is amazing. I have the XR and tried the portrait just now. Uuuummm... Now that's not going to see the light of day or blog.