Thursday, April 08, 2021

The First Meetup

In the midst of another glorious and early warm spell that will continue through to Sunday, we seized the opportunity to convene our first park meetup of the year.

Of course I took a few photos and will insist on showing them in a bit, but I'd like to begin earlier in the day.

At this time last year, it seems to be that the pond was often full of waterfowl, but everytime we go by this year, it is almost completely empty. I decided to go out earlier than usual on my own while Sue was still doing things around the house. Except for a solitary goose, it was still empty. I did take a picture of His Solitarianiss (I made up the word) because I was there and so was s/he.

Cropped a lot even at full zoom

Later in the morning, Her Specialness and moi went for a little walk on the trail. It is terribly messy and brambly beside the trail and hardly a comely and photogenic woodland. There are shapes and reflections in the spring ponds that look interesting, but there is so much distracting mess that pictures don't turn out well. I took the time to eliminate some distractions in post in this one because I like it otherwise.

Onto the afternoon meetup which I mentioned at the outset.

On a glorious day, this is the scene that greeted us as we exited the car: looking upriver along our lovely Mississippi, which for new readers is NOT THAT Mississippi.


We set up our chairs and waited for our friends to arrive.


Once they arrived, we sat and chatted for almost two hours.


We have today through Sunday to continue to enjoy this unseasonal interlude before we revert to more typical April weather with cooler temperatures and plenty of rain in the forecast next week.


18 comments:

William Kendall said...

Our Ontario Mississippi is such a pretty river.

Ed said...

I never knew there was two Mississippis out there. But google assures me there is.

Sitting in lawn chairs chatting with friends is a pleasure pandemic or not.

Barbara Rogers said...

Your photographers touch is evident...these are all great looking. Except maybe your friend in shorts. I did see lots of people here yesterday in shorts too.

Vicki Lane said...

I love the reflections in the first two shots!

Margaret said...

I thought you were joking (at first) about the Mississippi. :) That looks like a wonderful get together. Being the person I am, one of my first thoughts about the two hours of chatting was, "Is there a bathroom nearby?" We had nasty weather yesterday but looks like the sun is back today.

Mara said...

Oh, the one with the piece of wood reflected. Perfect.
That is a good solution to meeting up with friends.

Marie Smith said...

How great to be able to be outside, with friends!

DJan said...

What a nice way to spend some sunny weather. Love the goose picture. :-)

The Furry Gnome said...

Great way to meet up with people.

Rita said...

I wonder where all the ducks and geese are?
Looks like a great visit. :)

Joanne Noragon said...

My weather forecast is the same. Enjoy it while we may.

Red said...

I hope you find some birds on your pond. sometimes they are just over one or two ponds away.

Kay said...

What a terrific idea! And what a terrific place to meet. Wow! Your friend is in shorts and a short sleeve shirt. How wonderful!

Patio Postcards said...

Thank goodness for pleasant weather so you could meet up with friends to chat; your photo looks like it was a relaxing time.

Our region is desperate for rain, so I will not utter a word against it, less it chase the potential away.

Christina said...

This looks like a perfect spot for a chat with friends. I hope it continues to stay nice so you can meet again soon.

Blondi Blathers said...

The friends we normally spend time with, we haven't for many months. Now that it's warming up, I've been imagining a truck meetup with beer. I like your lawn chairs idea better! -Kate

David M. Gascoigne, said...

Isn't it a pleasure to just sit outside with friends and gab? Simple pleasures we always took for granted now seem special.

MARY G said...

And what about the lockdown? Um, I did this with a friend on Wednesday. Got to love this weather, but it has stopped the sap running, so the saps have now stopped running around with sap and are cleaning up. We need a rain. Sorry, but we do.