Monday, March 29, 2021

Sunday Morning Photo Editing

Sunday Morning: I had been planning to read — read some more, that is, after beginning in the wee hours having arisen too doggone early. But after feeding the cat and sitting at my computer while I ate my own breakfast, didn't Lacey commandeer my chair and settle herself down for a little nap. What is a guy to do?

So, I kept fiddling and faddling on the computer and ended up in my August 2011 photo folder. What drew me at first was my thought to convert a photo to b&w as well as bringing out the grit and structure.

Do you know what it is?

Then I noticed a picture of Danica doing a little dance is a ballerina/princess sort of costume. My playing with this photo was do darken the background and brighten her. It is a sweet photo that I think deserved some tender loving care after these many years. Sometimes you take the right photo; sometimes you make the photo right.


Further perusing led me to this next photo of Sue and JJ eating ice cream cones, for which my inclinations now took me to more of a retro and faded matte look.


Then, this one ↓ of JJ, which I wasn't inclined to edit very much because it was already pretty good. I didn't do much more than brighten him a bit, particularly the eyes. I think that it's a pretty good candid portrait.


One day, we took the kids in to Ottawa to visit Mom at work. We were pretty well babysitting full time in those days. Ten years later, it would be frightfully hard to get up early and head to their house almost every weekday. We babysat for quite a few years before both kids headed off to school. Good times though.

I darkened and blurred the background in this ↓ one.


I really enjoyed stepping into these old photos again and putting a little more effort into them. The pictures came fast and furious in those days with not necessarily enough time to appreciate them as much as I could have.


18 comments:

Marcia said...

Those are some treasured photos. Like you we are enjoying being close to two of our three granddaughters and lending a helping hand.

Vicki Lane said...

Nice work on all of these. Do you use Photoshop?

Marie Smith said...

Isn’t it great to see the old photos? These are great. I have no idea what the machinery is.

Patio Postcards said...

A nice stroll down memory lane ... don't the children grow up fast? Looks like a close up of a steam shovel.

Anvilcloud said...

@Vicki -- Yes, when I need to, but I mostly edit in Lightroom (Classic).

@Patio -- Right on. That's what I call them too, but we are old. They're Excavators now, I believe. :)

Ed said...

Well the two large hydraulic cylinders and tracks lead me to believe it is a similar to an excavator but has a larger load on it. Probably a shovel attachment or a crane.

I have Lightroom Classic as well though I rarely edit my photos other than crop them. I mostly purchased and used Lightroom for when I was resurrecting old slides that had lots of defects due to 50 years of storage.

Mara said...

I just caught up on some of your posts as I have been extremely negligent lately. So, first of all: a happy belated birthday to Sue!

It's always nice to see photos of your grandchildren, especially comparing them from now to then. Danica is looking so grown-up already now.

Margaret said...

I knew it was a big machine, just not the name of it. :) Wonderful photos and memories. That's what I love about pictures; they are all attached to memories and emotions.

Mage said...

They came out beautifully.

MARY G said...

The JJ portrait is a masterpiece. Personally, I do not like faded and washed, but I have a great-niece who is a professional portrait photographer in TO and that is her style. And it can be beautiful, as you do it also.
and no, I did not identify the machine.

DJan said...

I have no idea what that first one is. But I sure do love the gorgeous little ballerina in her Crocs. :-)

Red said...

...and all because you lost your chair to a cat! Yes, it's good to look back sometimes.

Joanne Noragon said...

You have a lovely family.
That top piece of equipment moves something.

William Kendall said...

Good edits!

It's not your chair. It's Lacey's chair.

Kay said...

All your photos are absolutely amazing here. However, I love those two of Danica and JJ. Those are just so precious. I love your words about sometimes having the right photo and other times making the photo right. So very true and you are a master at both.

Debby said...

How wonderful to have these pictures. How lucky they are to have a good photographer in the family.

Rashed Shaon said...

Wow! Excellent editing!

Another photo editing app TouchRetouch made such editing easier. The app is known for its creative remixing features in which you can remix any photo that is free to use, and you can use this feature to edit with your friends. The PicsArt Gold feature gives you thousands of stickers, collages, masks, and frames.

Smith said...

Cutout Image Media is a well-known graphics design and image editing service provider in Bangladesh. We have 11 years of working experience in the image editing industry. We are specialized in Photography post-production services for E-commerce and Product Photography. Our highly skilled designers are committed to delivering you high-quality images. Client satisfaction is our main concern.