Wednesday, March 17, 2021

More Heather Selfies and Editing

Who wouldn't want more Heather, my lovely and talented sister-in-law?

After our first experiment with her taking a selfie and me trying to enhance it, we tried again. She sent me a half dozen images. I picked what I thought were the two best photos and tried to improve them with the ultimate goal being a b&w image suitable for her book jacket.

While I don't know if any will be deemed suitable, once again, we both tried our best.

She had chosen a non-distracting background for one photo, so I decided that it would be the easiest starting point, requiring the least amount adjustment on my part.


My work mostly involved reducing dark circles, brightening her face and eyes somewhat, and adjusting skin tone just a tad. 


Now, for the monochrome version. I think it is acceptable.


There was one other photo that I wanted to work on. It would require more work, but I liked her very cute pose.


I really liked the photo, but could I change the background? Replacing a background when it involves wisps of hair is not all that easy. You will also notice the other standard modifications by now: skin tone, eyes, dark circles, and face light.


The conversion.


It was a test of my photoshop skills, which are not  really that great compared to many, but one tries one's best, as did Heather with the selfies.

Which would you choose? You may also consider yesterday's photo if you wish. For convenience, I'll repost it now.

17 comments:

Marie Smith said...

All are great. My favourite is the fifth one.

Barbara Rogers said...

I like the one with the whisp of hair. Good job! Much better, now that I see yesterdays!

Patio Postcards said...

I'm also liking #5. I have Clay Girls on request at my library & I am #1 in line for it :)

Margaret said...

I like the one from yesterday although they are all good. I am amazed with what you can do.

DJan said...

I really like the #5 one, also the same in B&W. I love her pretty braid and the expression on her face. :-)

Tabor said...

I like the ones where the glasses are above the eye pupils and not cutting them out. You are good at working on this!

William Kendall said...

#5 or 6.

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

This has obviously been a labor of love, John, and sure that heather did appreciate all your creative efforts. My vote goes for the first image.

Joanne Noragon said...

I don't like yesterday; Heather's arms are in the wrong place. Obviously a selfie. Of todays, the second is outstanding. It's the one above yesterday's.

Red said...

It certainly shows what a skilled person can change in photos.

Kay said...

Beautifully done. She is so pretty. I like the second one with her hair tied to the side and monochrome background. You did a beautiful job to enhance the photo.

MARY G said...

The conversion with the braid. Congrats on getting the hair wisp. I agree - detail backgrounds are the dickens to remove. While I love the textures in the loose hair, I think that a more formal hairdo is good for a bio photo. Less distracting from the face.
Nice job there!!!

Joyce F said...

I like the fifth one. I was happy to see The Clay Girl is available from our library. I am in line to get it.

PipeTobacco said...

I like all of them, but I seriously like the one with the wallpaper best. I guess the wallpaper would be distracting on a book cover, though. But I like it as the background generally.... and I like her hair in the ponytail.

PipeTobacco

Vicki Lane said...

All are good--I liked #3

Debby said...

Number 6!

Jenn Jilks said...

You are talented. I must say, the most of my talent includes doing the Ken Burns effect on my videos!