Saturday, March 13, 2021

MacArthur Mill Again

When I took this photo almost two weeks ago, I thought that I should return closer to sunrise.


I knew that I couldn't wait too long because I wanted the snow to still be there with its nice lead-in along the river toward the mill, and I also had to get there before the trees leafed out to obscure the view (although that will still be quite a way off).

At the same time, I have resisted going out in the cold mornings. Besides the cold, I don't always like to rush out. I want to sit and have my coffee and ease my way into the day.

However, on Wednesday I awoke at 4, so I could take my time and still get out for the 6:30 sunrise. The other inducement was that it was only slightly below freezing.

I didn't quite make it to the same spot but took a wider view from farther away.


It is very different than the first photo, and it was a difficult one to get right. When I got home to the computer, what I saw in the RAW photo was not what I had seen on the LCD screen of the camera, and it took some fiddling and faddling in post to get the photo to look more like what I had originally perceived.

I think that I might actually like the first ad hoc photo better than the one that took the extra time and effort to shoot. But I did feel good just getting out there and making a concerted effort to do dedicated photography. I am pleased enough with both the effort and the result.

12 comments:

Barbara Rogers said...

They both are beautiful! I think I'll vote for the second...as I look at it I suddenly see the light under the bridge, then through the windows on the top floor. Those two features are balanced in my view. Thanks for commenting on my misplaced blog! It's now tucked back into next week!

William Kendall said...

Beautiful views!

Red said...

I see what you mean. The second one is very bright.

Joanne Noragon said...

I like the second picture better than the first; it conveys mornng well.

The Furry Gnome said...

I too would enjoy 'sitting and having my coffee to ease my way into the day'.

Margaret said...

That's beautiful. It is great to accomplish what you set out to do!

Rita said...

They're both quite beautiful shots for different reasons. :)

Marie Smith said...

Light makes such a difference to the photos.

Jenn Jilks said...

I admire your tenacity and your skills!

Vicki Lane said...

Both are beautiful!

Mage said...

I like that.

Kay said...

Gorgeous! I DO love your dedication to photography. Thank goodness for Photoshop.