Saturday, March 20, 2021

Geese Again

The previous goose post was from Wednesday, but when we walked past the pond on Thursday, it was uninhabited. While Sue was doing other things yesterday, Friday, morning, I returned on my own. They were there aquawking away to their hearts' content.

There were no ducks though. Last year, the pond had some exotic, for us, ducks, but there weren't even mallards this time. Hopefully, we'll get some interesting visitors.

The geese were mainly paddling about calmly with little landing and splashing, and I missed capturing what little there was .


It is still nice, however, to get some some of action, and I got some posturing in the next couple of photos.



This, below, was my favourite from the few minutes I was there, with both of them having their heads thrust forward. The gander was particularly on guard, protecting his lady from would-be interlopers. 


I didn't stay long because at -4C/25F with a strong wind, it was mighty nippy. I did have my photo gloves, but I still had to expose two fingertips on each hand, and they got pretty darn cold. However, we are heading into double digits for a few days, which means >50F for those who speak American.

I have another very short video (9 seconds) if you care to see and hear.


Oh, I almost forgot. I was asked if any geese overwinter here. I have seen some in the past, and I expect that has continued, I didn't see any nearby this winter.


10 comments:

Jenn Jilks said...

I love watching them. It was nippy. The girls were needing gloves!

MARY G said...

You have some nice shots there. Great clarity. I love the one with the tongue stuck out. He was saying something very nasty in Goosetongue.

Barbara Rogers said...

You were close enough to really capture their language - I like Mary G's definition, "Goosetongue." Thanks for suffering for your art!

DJan said...

Nice shots! I like seeing their feathers ruffled. :-)

Debby said...

Geese scare me.

gigi-hawaii said...

Thanks for showing us the geese in Canada, something I never see here in Hawaii. Haha.

Karen said...

No geese around here yet. I think they are still spread out on the newly exposed farm fields.

Margaret said...

I love photos of geese, especially when they are honking. It looks like someone nagging. However, in person I keep my distance since I've been chased by geese and not enjoyed it.

Red said...

Geese do a lot of chattering and you caught some of it.

William Kendall said...

In the city, I can only recall seeing one goose that over wintered. There's a stretch of the Rideau River at Billings Bridge that stays open and is home to ducks. A goose spent the winter with them three or four years ago.