Sunday, March 07, 2021

Bending and Blending Time

You may recall from an earlier post here that when we were preparing for the bicentennial calendar for 2019 we were given old town photos and asked to do up-to-date photos of the same locations.

For one month, we did this layoit.

Later, and for private purposes, I put the modern girl into the old picture.


More recently, as I posted here, a new way of blending old and new was suggested. The best idea is to do one gradiated sweep of old to new, but I couldn't make that fit with these two photos. What I was able to do was to blend parts of old and new. It is not as effective, but it is something.


The storefront and girl are old as well as the door to the left and middle window above.

Then I thought, Why not put both girls into the image?


So, I did.


18 comments:

Marie Smith said...

Wonder what became of that little girl in that old photo.

Marcia said...

I got lost between what is old and what is new.

Barbara Rogers said...

What fun! I enjoyed your toying around with these shots...and like the final edition. Too bad the newer store had all that reflection in its windows. If you happen to go by there on a cloudy day, maybe you could catch yet another version. And play with it more! Creativity knows no bounds.

Blondi Blathers said...

Very cool. -Kate

Jenn Jilks said...

You have such fun with this. Well done.

Margaret said...

Love the two girl photo! I would have no clue how to do this, so I'm lost in admiration of your skills.

Tabor said...

Was that hard work?

Coloring Outside the Lines said...

I think that is cool! I love old photos, especially when people and old buildings are together. It is a hobby of mine to try and age a photo, and I am terrible at it, but I keep trying.
Have a great week!

Goldendaze-Ginnie said...

Sounds like you had a lot of fun with this challenge. The girls are adorable.

DJan said...

I always enjoy your playing around like this. :-)

Anvilcloud said...

@Tabor

Not too hard once I got a handle on what direction I might take. I couldn't fit the two whole photos together well, so I took parts from the old photo and shaped them as best I could to fit over the modern photo.

Anvilcloud said...

@Barbara

The reflections drove me crazy. There were two of us. His photo was in the original for the calendar, but I used mine for the others. Neither of us thought to put on a polarizer to reduce reflections. But neither of us had much experience shooting buildings and reflections. We'll get it right for the 300th anniversary, though. I wonder what cameras and photography will be like then?

Red said...

Nice to get assignments for photos.

The Liberty Belle said...

I really like it! Very creative. I wish I knew how to do this. I think it would be rather fun to do something similar with blending photos of relatives, such as my grandparents, with their younger and older images.

Shammickite said...

And they say that the camera never lies??? Ha! Maybe in the olden days but now....?

Shammickite said...

I wonder if there any Schwardtfeger descendants left in the area?

William Kendall said...

Very creative!

Rita said...

I have no clue how you do things like this so to me it is like magic. :)