Friday, March 12, 2021

Recent Walk Attempts

They finally cleared the snowbanks by some of the accesses to be Riverwalk Trail, so we thought to use one of them. It was not the right day for this venture as we inched carefully down the icy incline (there ==>) toward the path.

I know that you can't tell that it is icy from the photo, but it was. We kept going down, hoping that there had been less thawing and subsequent freezing down on the trail, but another couple of oldsters that we met said that it was pretty slippery all along the way.

What to do?

We decided to head to O-Kee-Lee Park. It wasn't quite as icy in there, but it was  slippery enough.

I was uninspired and didn't take a single photo. Although it looks like I did in Sue's pics (below), I was really just checking focal distances for possible future photos. I would like to photograph the building across the river one night when the lights are on, and I was wondering what would be the best single lens that I might take so that I wouldn't have to haul a heavy load of lenses.



The next day, we brunched in the car as we are wont to do from time to time, and then took a saunter in Roy Brown park.


I remained uninspired on that walk.The only photo that I took was of little plants in the snow fairly near the entrance. Beyond that, the woodsy path was just dull.


While I like that little photo well enough, the photography is hard these days.

16 comments:

Marcia said...

Ice! we have it here too. I've stayed upright but Dan has fallen two or three times. The last was on black ice on the pavement walking home from daughter's house. Nothing broken, but still dangerous to do.

Stay safe.

Patio Postcards said...

Sue's first photo of you in your red jacket against the snow is excellent to show the contrasts. We have lost a lot of the snow & it rained yesterday. Overnight temps went low, so now it's sheets of ice every where - I'll be indoors bound.

Timmy's - roll up the rim season yet?

Barbara Rogers said...

How frustrating! But you all are smart to not go tumbling down. Maybe photos from this season are to be forgotten...but I'm so happy to see you all having brunch out a la auto.

Marie Smith said...

I love the sky in the photos.

Winter exhausts photography!

Vicki Lane said...

The sky in the third pic is gorgeous. And the little plant in the snow is beautiful.

Goldendaze-Ginnie said...

Sue is doing a great job standing in for you. By the way, to answer your comment left on my latest blog entry ...

Yes, there certainly is a huge difference between a violinist and a fiddler BUT that doesn't put one ahead of the other ... they are both great !

MARY G said...

Our laneway is one third glare ice today although the other 2/3 is bare, having sun all day. I use cleats that attach to my boots on a rubber overshoe. You can get them at Canadian Tire.
The best chance for photos yesterday was what the clouds looked like at sunset. It was so fleeting, however, that I missed the chance.

gigi-hawaii said...

Too bad it was icy. Be careful. My SIL slipped on ice and broke her arm.

Margaret said...

Beautiful sky and plant! I'm so terrified of the ice that I would crawl down any hill that I suspected was slippery. I've done it while hiking since I'm scared of heights and get vertigo. I always warn the person or people I'm with that I may crawl through some areas. (or across the log bridges at Mt. Rainier)

Red said...

Well, at least you tried to go for a walk. the main thing is to be safe. we are fragile so break easily.

William Kendall said...

I like that last shot.

I was going to go out to a park yesterday that I hadn't been to in a long while, but realized I hadn't really given myself enough time before other stuff during the day. So it can wait until next week.

The Furry Gnome said...

Actually, I like that photo!

Rita said...

I won't go out when it is slippery and icy. Fell a couple of years ago and it wasn't pretty. But it is beautiful there. For me it's just a trip to the dumpster--LOL! ;)

Joanne Noragon said...

But consider all the steps you otherwise would not be accumulating!

DJan said...

Those walks are when microspikes are invaluable. I like that shot very much. :-)

Kay said...

Well I rather like that shot of you with your red jacket against the winter white.